Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] REST API description

I don't think DocBook is the right vocabulary for modeling a REST API. There's an XML schema, WADL (Web Application Description Language) that is designed for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Application_Description_Language I would suggest putting the API specification in WADL and converting it to DocBook to combine it with your other content.

WADL includes features that let you reuse content, but all that reuse can make it difficult to parse. wadl-tools includes xslts that will flatten out the wadl. Do that first and converting it to DocBook will be much more straightforward:

https://github.com/rackerlabs/wadl-tools

You can see an example of that approach here:

https://github.com/rackerlabs/clouddocs-maven-plugin

If you need a proxy for your API, check out Repose: http://www.openrepose.org/ That wadl-tools stuff was developed in support of Repose. For more information, see this Balisage paper:

https://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol8/html/Williams01/BalisageVol8-Williams01.html

These days non-xml vocabularies for modeling REST apis are more popular. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, depending on your needs.

https://swagger.io/

https://raml.org/

Regards,

David