Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: XML databases

Declaration: I'm not a db user (never found a real use for them).
My docbook (primary) use is the accretion of files over time.
Mostly less than a few hundred.
Build tool is plain text (ant / xslt).

My logic (not wishing to call Norm a liar) is that a file system can fail
(I do take care).
Adding another point of failure (the db logic...) makes a db 'worse' i.e.
more likely to fail.

I get indexing via XSLT (thanks docbook team) where I need it.
I believe Norm when he says that a db indexes 'better' (for some
definition of better - what of secondary terms / index term != content?)

So for my 'small' (relative) number of files, coupled with my db ignorance
(I did spend time once playing with one of the XML db products, v.easy
to import)
I'm biassed towards simplicity... One less point of failure.

I'm sure there is a gray area in between high file count / low complexity etc
where both are 'equal'. Forward planning perhaps?

Not wishing to tempt fate, I won't say "No failures in n years!"  :-)

Dave