Subject: AW: [docbook-apps] Capital latin "Q" with dot above

We are writing an article (hopefully it will become an official standard of our national standardization authority, DIN) about a set of characters that every ICT system in Germany should support. The article is written in docbook, because its main part is generated from a character database (subset of Unicode Character Database UCD). We have plenty of sequences with diacritical characters, like LATIN CAPITAL LETTER K WITH COMBINING DOT ABOVE. It is a "combining character sequence" in the sense of the Unicode standard. It is very easy to write them down in docbook. Since docbook is XML, you can use the general mechanism for representation of arbitrary characters by their hex-code: "K̇" (character LATIN CAPITAL LETTER K immediately followed by the character with hex-code 0307, which is COMBINING DOT ABOVE). You can do exactly the same for LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Q WITH COMBINING DOT ABOVE, although I did not find that in our database. Q̇ is not a result of any ISO recommendation for transcription from other scripts to latin, right?

So writing down the combining character sequence is no problem at all, however it has to be supported by a font in the final PDF file. If the default font does not work: Have a look at Google Noto Fonts (https://www.google.com/get/noto/).

Sincerely,
Frank