Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Watermark Images

Hi Otto,

I think you did not receive a response before because no one knows how to do what you are asking.   In the XSL-FO model, it generates a page with margins that define a body area, and then fills in the body area with formatted content. The body area is called <fo:region-body>, and the margin areas are called <fo:region-before> (header), <fo:region-after> (footer), <fo:region-start> (left margin area), <fo:region-end> (right margin area).  The watermark is normally placed as the background image of the page in the fo:region-body, so that the content, when it is generated, lays over it, as you noticed.  That is by design, so that the watermark does not obscure the content and make it unreadable.

Since you want your image to appear on every page, it cannot be part of the content and must be part of the page declaration.  But content for the page declaration only appears in the margin regions, as header or footer, or side margin navigational content.  It might be possible to declare a full size image in one of those areas but extending out side the designated area, but I'm not sure if it would be under or over the page content.