Subject: Combining para role templates

I have a number of templates that add some formatting to xsl:fo, they are in the format of:

 <xsl:template match="d:para[contains(@role,'bg-danger')]" priority="9">
    <fo:block background-color="red">
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="d:para[contains(@role,'xx-small')]" priority="9">
    <fo:block font-size="xx-small">
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

I want to be able to combine these various templates, something like this:

<para role="bg-danger xx-small">..</para>

But only the last "role" in the list gets applied to the output. Is this combining of roles feasible or do I need to write a combo template (for each combination)?

  <xsl:template match="d:para[contains(@role,'bg-danger_xx-small')]" priority="9">
    <fo:block background-color="red" font-size="xx-small">
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

<para role="bg-danger_xx-small">..</para>

Thanks,

Peter