Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] List of tables (LoT)

No, you don't. If the generate.toc param has "toc" listed for your element, it will automatically generate the toc. An empty <toc/> element can be used to override the default position of the toc in the output, but you have to turn off the generate.toc setting for that element. See:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/process.empty.source.toc.html