Subject: How to use a catalog for an entity declaration file?

Dear friends,

I am trying to implement this guidance from Chapter 23. Modular DocBook files of Bob Stayton's DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide - 4th Edition:

"If all of your modules and document files have the same entity declaration and reference, then they will all share the same set of entities. You can use an XML catalog to map the filename to a specific pathname on a system so it can be in a central location."

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ModularEntities.html#entities.in.dtd

My problem is that I don't know the correct syntax for the system entity declaration.  For example, this doesn't work:

<!DOCTYPE book [

<!ENTITY % commonentities SYSTEM "commonentityID" >

%commonentities;

]>

My catalog looks like this:

<catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">

    <system systemId="commonentityID"         uri="file:///C:/Activity/Cogent/Docs/DocsOx/Source/Common/commonentities.ent"/>

</catalog>

The catalog validates in Oxygen.

Without attempting to use the catalog, this is what we normally use:

<!DOCTYPE book [

<!ENTITY % commonentities SYSTEM "../Common/commonentities.ent" >

%commonentities;

]>

This also validates and produces correct output.  How can we get this working using a catalog?  Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Best regards,

Bob

COGENT

Bob McIlvride    Communications Manager

Cogent Real-Time Systems Inc., a Skkynet company

T   1 905 702 7851 ext 103

cogent.ca