Subject: Draft of a proposal for conventions for biblioentry element

I just posted a draft proposal for conventions for the biblioentry element. You can find it at: https://rlhamilton.net/biblioentry/

The idea is to provide conventions that would allow a writer to create biblioentry elements that can be reliably rendered in various styles (Chicago, MLA, etc.). And to give implementers guidance in creating stylesheets that would render those styles.

This is just a draft that has a fair number of open questions, which are listed in Section 7.

Thanks to Peter Flynn, Tony Graham, and Norm Walsh for their suggestions on the mailing list and to Peter Flynn for his examples. Also, thanks to Norm for the xslTNG stylesheets, which I used to generate the html for the article.

FYI, my next step, which Iâve begun as a customization of the XSL 1.0 html stylesheets, is to implement Chicago and at least one other style (probably MLA), both as a proof of concept and to make sure there arenât other conventions that need to be defined. I was tempted to do them in xslTNG, but I really need fo/PDF for my business, so that will have to wait. If they work well, Iâll make them to the community.

Please take a look and post your thoughts. Iâm sure thereâs plenty that I missed:-).

Best regards,
Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press