Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSL: The Next Generation

>> The goal of the stylesheets is to produce clean, semantically rich
>> HTML(5) that can be beautifully rendered with CSS (and a dash or two of
>> JavaScript, if you wish) in the browser and in print. [...]
>
> Just for clarification: how do we get PDF thesedays?
>
> Does the new stylesheets create PDFs through a HTML -> browser -> PDF
> workflow? Or will there be separate XSL-FO stylesheets at some day?

My current thinking is that HTML+CSS through some tool like AntennaHouse
Formatter or PrinceXML (or other similar tools) is the way forward. If I
had the time, Iâd be happy to work on XSL FO stylesheets. But I donât
want to do the job badly and I donât have the time to do it well.

The xslTNG distribution includes HTML-for-paged-media customizations
that (almost) generate reasonable results. Iâll have a PDF version of
the reference guide as an example âreal soon nowâ. (There are a couple
of issues I still want to fix.)

I know that some folks will be disappointed by the lack of XSL FO
support. Programming in XSLT 3.0 is fun, if someone wants to work on the
task! :-) All I ask is that they be well tested and well documented.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>