Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] When double-sided print, how to avoid chapter starting on odd pages?

There are additional steps required because of the way XSL-FO uses page-sequences for book components like chapters, etc. and the multiple XSL-FO properties that control page numbering, so getting the boundaries between page sequences to work is the issue.. This thread describes other parameters and changes that need to be made.

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200707/msg00093.html

It does not cover the thumb index because that's your own customization.