Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Continued page numbering in the frontmatter

This is unusual. Does your customization layer have a template named 'initial.page.number'? If so, then that is likely the cause of the problem, because that template is used in each page-sequence to set the 'initial-page-number' attribute on the page-sequence. A value of "auto" continues from the previous page-sequence. The original template is in fo/pagesetup.xsl.