Subject: xslTNG, <literal>, HTML5 <code>

I tried out the xslTNG stylesheets recently.  I found that my understanding
of the appearance of inlines like <literal> does not match what appears to
happen in my browsers: in particular, the <code> element generated
by the xslTNG inline module is treated as unbreakable.  An example follows.

Was my understanding incorrect?  If so, what is the correct markup
in such situations?

	Mike

<article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
    version="5.1">
    <title>Wrapping Literals</title>
    <para> Last week, I wanted to format the following email, but it didn't wrap: <blockquote>
            <literallayout><literal>
To: A.U.Thor@mydestination.com
From: Nobody@TickTockTech.EDU
Date: 24 March 2021
Subject: Knuth Quote
</literal></literallayout>
            <para><literal> Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new system must
                    not only be the implementer and first large-scale user; the designer should also
                    write the first user manual. </literal></para>
            <para><literal> The separation of any of these four components would have hurt TeX
                    significantly. If I had not participated fully in all these activities,
                    literally hundreds of improvements would never have been made, because I would
                    never have thought of them or perceived why they were important.
                </literal></para>
            <para><literal> But a system cannot be successful if it is too strongly influenced by a
                    single person. Once the initial design is complete and fairly robust, the real
                    test begins as people with many different viewpoints undertake their own
                    experiments. </literal></para>
        produces <tag class="element">CODE</tag> elements, and in HTML5 these appear not to wrap, nor are there any
        CSS options to change this. </para>
</article>