Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Two nagging problems with docbook2pdf in texlive 2019

Thanks, everyone. I figured out fonts in the Antenna House formatter. I'm closer to satisfactory PDFs after two days of exploring xsl-fo than I was after two weeks of trying to troubleshoot my old custom dsssl stylesheets on a new computer. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but they won't be about docbook2pdf.

Get Outlook for Android

From: Kevin Dunn <kdunn@hsc.edu>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2021, 6:06 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

I spent the day playing with the demo versions of XEP and Antenna House Formatter. I got both of them up and running using xsltproc and the default xsl stylesheet, with the SelfDocBook as a source xml file. Pdf from both looks good.

Following DocBook XSL TCG, I was able to add a new font and enable ligatures by editing xep.xml. So XEP seems like I could make it work.

Antenna House Formatter was not too bad to install, but the documentation is huge, and I have yet to figure out how to add a font or enable ligatures. I found the font-config.xml file and added a font to it, but I can't figure out how to tell the formatter to use that font. There also seems to be extensions required to enable ligatures, but I haven't figured out how to use them, either on the command line or in a configuration file. Is the AH Formatter much more complicated to use than XEP? Any kind of "newbie guide" for it?

As much as I hate to flush all my dsssl-jadetex customizations, it seems like xsl-fo is going to be the way to go.