Subject: Re: Titlepage learning curve

My intention was to add a half-titlepage. I've succeeded in that. I wanted to use a mediaobject in place of the title on both the half-title and titlepage. Iv'e sort of succeeded there, but I don't find it satisfactory.

In my xml, I have:
<book>
<bookinfo>
<mediaobject .../>
<title>My Title</title>
</bookinfo>
</chapter>

My titlepage xsl has:

<xsl:template name="book.titlepage.recto">
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="bookinfo/mediaobject">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/mediaobject"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="info/mediaobject">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="info/mediaobject"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="bookinfo/title">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/title"/>
    </xsl:when>
</xsl:template>

This substitutes the mediaobject for the title if it is present in the xml source. Exactly as desired.

I generate similar xsl for cover:
<xsl:template name="front.cover">
 <xsl:call-template name="page.sequence">
   <xsl:with-param name="master-reference">titlepage</xsl:with-param>
   <xsl:with-param name="content">
     <xsl:choose>
       <xsl:when test="bookinfo/mediaobject">
<xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/mediaobject"/>
       </xsl:when>
       <xsl:when test="info/title">
<xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="info/title"/>
       </xsl:when>
       <xsl:when test="title">
<xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="title"/>
       </xsl:when>
     </xsl:choose>
     <xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

But in the fo, this results in two <fo;block.../> calls with the same id, one for the cover, and the other for the titlepage. This generates an error for both fop and ahf. As a workaround, I can put both <info.../> and <bookinfo.../> into <book...\>. Including two separate mediaobjects. This works. I get the desired mediaobjects on both the cover and titlepage. BUT only at the expense of mixing DB 4.5 and DB 5 elements, i.e., info and bookinfo in the same document. This seems like a no-no, right?

What am I missing?