Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Multiple languages in PDF?

Thanks forÂweighing in on this. I've had a similar experience with FOP in the past,Âand actually I've been talking with my employer aboutÂmoving to AH at someÂpoint. However, that's for a different project (DITA-OT) on a longer term basis.Â

For the moment, I have to make this work withÂDocBook and FOP, as there's a deadline.

I got a message back from Bob Stayton, and it seems there are some issues with the current version of docbook-xsl tryingÂto generate international indexes. However, there's a newer snapshot on GitHub, and I'm trying to get that to work now.

Since I'm unfamiliar with the details, I think it's best if I defer to Bob on this, but I'll try to follow up with some notes when I can figure it out.

M.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 5:28 AM Kevin Dunn <kdunn@hsc.edu> wrote:
I'll put in a plug for AH Formatter. I love open-source tools, and use them when I can. But after fighting with FOP for a while, only to discover repeatedly that it didn't implement the
features I needed, I downloaded the free trial versions of AH Formatter and RenderX XEP. Both were much more powerful and easier to configure than FOP. XEP is the less expensive of the two, but ultimately the AHF extensions won me over, and I bought it. If your time is at all valuable, you should spend a couple of days with the free trial versions to see what they can do for you.

That said, I was able to get multiple indexes using the method on p 312 of DBTCG. It works in both AHF and FOP. I have not tried using different fonts in the different indexes.

Kevin

From: M. Downing Roberts <mgaq1186@g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Sent: Sunday, January 2, 2022 7:33 AM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Hi,

ThanksÂfor your suggestions. I know AH is better but alas, I am using FOP.

Still stuck,

M.

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 7:10 PM Tony Graham <tgraham@antenna.co.jp> wrote:
On 02/01/2022 02:26, M. Downing Roberts wrote:
> Another, simpler point I'm stuck on: I need to select a different font
> for the Japanese index,Âi.e., I need to detect @type='ja' in the <index>
> element and switch fonts.

If you are using AH Formatter, you can map the generic font family names
to specific fonts per script. [1]

> I tried this in my customization layer:
>
>Â Â Â<xsl:template match="indexentry">
>Â Â Â Â <xsl:choose>
>Â Â Â Â Â<xsl:when test="contains(' ja ', parent::type)">

"contains(' ja ', parent::type)" is true only when the string ' ja '
(including its space characters) contains the text content of the <type>
parent element of the <indexentry>. [1]Â There's several reasons why
that won't happen.

isn't the parent element anyway.

One solution would be:

  <xsl:when test="ancestor::index/@type = 'ja'">

Another would be a separate template for Japanese <indexentry>, if you
would find that clearer:

<xsl:template match="indexentry[ancestor::index/@type = 'ja']">
 Â<fo:wrapper font-family="'Zen Old Mincho'">
  Â<xsl:apply-templates/>
 Â</fo:wrapper>
</xsl:template>

(fo:wrapper [3] is mostly a way to add inherited properties without
generating an extra area in the area tree.)

If your template is in a module that imports (directly or indirectly)
the usual template for <indexentry>, you can do: [4]

<xsl:template match="indexentry[ancestor::index/@type = 'ja']">
 Â<fo:wrapper font-family="'Zen Old Mincho'">
  Â<xsl:apply-imports/>
 Â</fo:wrapper>
</xsl:template>

Or you could set the font in your template for <index>:

<xsl:template match="index[@type = 'ja']">
 Â<fo:wrapper font-family="'Zen Old Mincho'">
  Â<xsl:apply-imports/>
 Â</fo:wrapper>
</xsl:template>

Regards,