Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Upquotes for code

We used dblatex extensively some years ago, with our own LaTeX stylesheets. My memory is somewhat vague, but I think that you won't see the \usepackage{upquote} in the LaTeX output file, because it's inside the (in your case) texstyle.sty file--you'll only see a line that says
   \usepackage{texstyle}
You should however see it loading 'upquote' in LaTeX's .log file.

But more importantly, the documentation for the upquote package (https://ctan.math.washington.edu/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/upquote/upquote.pdf) says "The package does not affect \tt, \texttt, etc." So I wouldn't expect it to force straight quotes inside \texttt{} strings, only inside 'verbatim' or 'verb' blocks. The way to force straight quotes inside \texttt{} is here:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/257612/adding-straight-quote-marks-to-texttt
although it admittedly requires you to use \textquotesingle{}, which is a lot of typing. (You could of course re-define a simple macro like \tq{} to be \textquotesingle{}.)

There are some more complicated solutions (in that you may have to copy-past more code into your .sty file) here, which allow you to just use the single quote mark:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/436308/changing-all-single-quotes-to-be-straight-when-within-texttt
My personal preference is the XeLaTeX solution, since that allows you to use non-ASCII Unicode text in your input files. dblatex calls it if you use
    -b xetex
on the command line. But you may have no need for that, and pdflatex is admittedly faster.

    Mike Maxwell
    University of Maryland