docbook-comment message

Subject: internationalisation after 17 years

Docbook has been around for 17 years, and it's *still* not properly
internationalised. I've been waiting for the DocBook 5 specification in
the hopes it would follow the W3C ruby annotation used in CJK languages
but useful outside this context too, only to see that as of the most
recent v5 specification there is still no such thing available in
DocBook, making it impossible to write textbooks in English about
Chinese or Japanese, or write full texts in these languages for all
audiences.

Can the ruby specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/) *please* be just
copied verbatim out of the w3c ruby annotation specification and added
to docbook, with 'text' as parent of the ruby element, and as child of
the rp, rb, and rt elements. Given that this has become used quite a bit
on the internet as well means there is clear typographical styling
avilable for it to, so that the docbook stylesheets can be extended for
it too.

Please, I just want to be able to write my textbooks without having to
resort to modifying docbook and have it be rejected by docbook editors
because the supposed standard is lacking a feature that a significant
part of the publishing world needs.

so an official request:
please add 'ruby' annotatio to docbook 5 as soon as possible, as the
current 'annotation' element is perfectly useless for this purpose.
tomorrow would be nice, v5.0.1 would be acceptable, v5.1 would be too
far in the future - docbook's been apparently actively kept away from
use with languages such as Japanese for 17 years by now, why on earth is
this allowed to persist.

sincerely, but in the meantime actively looking for an alternative to
docbook,

--
Michiel Kamermans