docbook-comment message

Subject: The DocBook Publishers Schema Version 1.0 Committee Draft -- Feedback

Title: The DocBook Publishers Schema Version 1.0 Committee Draft -- Feedback

Better late than never ;)

DCMI Metadata Terms
-------------------
+1 for allowing the use of DCMI Metadata Terms vocabulary as <info> content. This makes it somewhat easier to get consistent and well-documented usage of metadata, eg. in a content management system, and makes it trivial to exchange metadata through exchange formats, eg. RDFa.

Additional metadata vocabularies could eventually be made available for inclusion, eg. PRISM (very much an extension of Dublin Core) http://www.idealliance.org/industry_resources/intelligent_content_informed_workflow/prism.

Keep an eye on the Vocabulary Mapping Framework, http://www.doi.org/news/DOINewsJun09.html#1.

XML DTD
-------
Last year, we implemented a 'Publishers' customization of DocBook V4.5, mostly based on the proposal that was available at that time on the wiki. At that time, it was not possible to automagically translate the DocBook V5 Relax NG schema to an XML DTD. We opted for a customization of the DocBook V4.5 XML DTD because we rely on tools that don't grok Relax NG; an XML DTD is required. I'd like to suggest that the adoption rate of the DocBook Publishers Schema will be greatly increased if an official XML DTD is made available.

Informal simple section

The purpose of this wrapper is to informally group a sequence of related <para>s (and similar content).

Processing expectations could be (this is our case) to have additional space above and flush left margin for the first <para>, rather than no additional space above and em quad first line indent.

By extension, the name would be <informalsect> or <informalsimplesect>.

This pattern is well established in typographical literature, see eg. An essay on typography, Eric Gill, http://books.google.dk/books?id=44Yq6UplAbAC (I don't have my copy at hand, can't cite the page).

The pattern is described in Chapter 8 of The XML & SGML cookbook: Recipes for Structured Information, Rick Jelliffe, http://books.google.com/books?id=NjczAAAAMAAJ.

Kind regards,

Peter Ring
Magnus Informatik A/S