Mail Index message

Subject: docbook-digest Digest #195

Re: DOCBOOK: No attribute value 'PDF' in imagedata
Re: DOCBOOK: No attribute value 'PDF' in imagedata
DOCBOOK: any reason why a "procedure" is not a child of "para"?
Re: DOCBOOK: No attribute value 'PDF' in imagedata
Re: DOCBOOK: No attribute value 'PDF' in imagedata
Re: DOCBOOK: No attribute value 'PDF' in imagedata
Re: DOCBOOK: No attribute value 'PDF' in imagedata
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: Image scaling in percent with fop
DOCBOOK: documenting an API: RFE
Re: DOCBOOK: Working with XInclude / xml:base / libxml v2.4.24 and
 above
Re: DOCBOOK: Working with XInclude / xml:base / libxml v2.4.24 and
 above
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml
DOCBOOK: <speakernotes> in Slides 3.1.0 Full
DOCBOOK: toc enumeration

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:05:15PM +0100, Joachim Ziegler wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> > In the meanwhile, you can extend the list in notation.class
> > using local.notation.class to allow PDF by adding this to your
> > DOCTYPE in each file:
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "..." "..." [
> > <!ENTITY % local.notation.class "| PDF">
> > ]>
> >
> > That should enable validation.
>
> It seems that xmllint can't handle that extension:
>
> /opt/gnu/bin/xmllint -valid --noout LEDATutorium.xml
> LEDATutorium.xml:44: validity error: NOTATION attribute application
> reference an unknown notation "PDF"
> <book lang="de">
>                 ^
> chapter1.xml:6: validity error: NOTATION attribute application reference
> an unknown notation "PDF"
> <chapter>
>          ^
> (using libxml version 20412)

  Strange ... I don't know DocBook DTD, before saying it's a libxml2 bug
I would like a full example. But please check first with a recent version
2.4.12 is really old (current is 2.5.4).
    http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html

Daniel

Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Strange ... I don't know DocBook DTD, before saying it's a libxml2 bug
> I would like a full example. But please check first with a recent version
> 2.4.12 is really old (current is 2.5.4).
>     http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html

Sorry, but this is hard to do for me. I would have to ask our central
services group for updating the software and it would take weeks before
they would react :-)

The only thing I did was inserting Bob's proposed extension line as the
first line in the local part of the DTD:

<!DOCTYPE book
     PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
            "/KM/usr/ziegler/DocBook/DocBookXML4.2/docbookx.dtd"
[

<!-- allow PDF as attribute value of 'format' in element imagedata -->
<!ENTITY % local.notation.class "| PDF">

If you want to, I can send you the whole file.

Joachim

  i just noticed that the procedure element cannot be a child
of a para, as can other lists.  any reason for this?  it seems
like this would be useful if a procedure should be considered
part of its enclosing paragraph.  just curious.

rday

Joachim Ziegler wrote:

> The only thing I did was inserting Bob's proposed extension line as the
> first line in the local part of the DTD:

xmllint --version
using libxml version 20430

xmllint --valid --noout --catalogs skeleton.xml
skeleton.xml:25: validity error: NOTATION attribute application
reference an unknown notation "PDF"
<book>
      ^

Xerces' DOMCount agrees:

Error at skeleton.xml.873543, line 21, char 4
   Message: Attribute 'application' refers to an unknown notation 'PDF'

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:06:32PM +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:
> Joachim Ziegler wrote:
>

> > The only thing I did was inserting Bob's proposed extension line as the
> > first line in the local part of the DTD:
>

> xmllint --version
> using libxml version 20430
>
> xmllint --valid --noout --catalogs skeleton.xml
> skeleton.xml:25: validity error: NOTATION attribute application
> reference an unknown notation "PDF"
> <book>

  I bet on also need to define PDF as a NOTATION, obviously
the "| PDF" allows to extend the attribute list but doesn't define
it as a notation. Try to add

  <!NOTATION PIC              SYSTEM "PIC">

in the internal subset of the document, and see if this validates,
I bet it's the problem :-)

Daniel

Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   I bet on also need to define PDF as a NOTATION, obviously
> the "| PDF" allows to extend the attribute list but doesn't define
> it as a notation. Try to add
>
>   <!NOTATION PIC              SYSTEM "PIC">
>
> in the internal subset of the document, and see if this validates,
> I bet it's the problem :-)

<!ENTITY % local.notation.class "| PDF">
<!NOTATION PDF SYSTEM "PDF">

works. (PDF not PIC)

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/

Daniel Veillard wrote:
> it as a notation. Try to add
>
>   <!NOTATION PIC              SYSTEM "PIC">
>
> in the internal subset of the document, and see if this validates,
> I bet it's the problem :-)

OK, I got now

<!ENTITY % local.notation.class "| PDF">
<!NOTATION PDF              SYSTEM "PDF">

and it works! Thank you!

Joachim

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 05:28:58PM -0800,
 Ben Hratshorne <docbook@green.hartshorne.net> wrote
 a message of 43 lines which said:

> I was wondering a while ago whether to start my docbook project stuff
> using dsssl or xml.

They are not incompatible. Unless this is a typo, you compare apples
and oranges.

XML or SGML are markup meta-languages.

XSL or DSSSL are stylesheets languages.

You can (I do) use DSSSL for XML documents. The choice of a markup
meta-language is partly independant of the choice of the stylesheet language.

> Lurking on this list for a bit it seems that 90% of the questions are
> answered with XML syntax.  Is it the case that though nobody really
> seems to say so everyone actually uses XML?

It is clear that SGML is slowly dying in favour of XML. For a new
project where there is no legacy, I believe there is no question: use
XML.

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:53:10AM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Camille Bégnis wrote:
>
> > I think the situation is the following: SGML is the legacy system most people get on using because it allows acceptable print output.
>
> This is not quite truth. With SGML you are mostly using DSSSL
> stylesheets and toolchain which has quite good print output. But this
> toolchain (DSSSL + Jade/OpenJade) can be used also with XML sources.

Right.

> > On the other hand SGML applications are not evolving anymore, hence
> > less discussions.

This is not true as well.  Although it has been dormant for a long
time, Openjade 1.3.1 and then 1.3.2 were released several months ago.
Work is ongoing to incorporate the developments that were done in the
1.4 branch.  And people are working at implementing the most
critically missing part of DSSSL, namely the full-fledged
page-sequence model, which will allow fancy things like lexible
multi-columning, marginalia, etc.

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique

Yann Dirson wrote:

> This is not true as well.  Although it has been dormant for a long
> time, Openjade 1.3.1 and then 1.3.2 were released several months ago.
> Work is ongoing to incorporate the developments that were done in the
> 1.4 branch.  And people are working at implementing the most
> critically missing part of DSSSL, namely the full-fledged
> page-sequence model, which will allow fancy things like lexible
> multi-columning, marginalia, etc.

Very interesting. Will be these features usable with RTF backend or just
with JadeTeX? Do you plan to support footnotes in RTF?

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 04:32:30PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 05:28:58PM -0800,
>  Ben Hratshorne <docbook@green.hartshorne.net> wrote
>  a message of 43 lines which said:
>
> > I was wondering a while ago whether to start my docbook project stuff
> > using dsssl or xml.
>
> They are not incompatible. Unless this is a typo, you compare apples
> and oranges.
>
> XML or SGML are markup meta-languages.
>
> XSL or DSSSL are stylesheets languages.
>
> You can (I do) use DSSSL for XML documents. The choice of a markup
> meta-language is partly independant of the choice of the stylesheet language.

I was confused by this.  Though I understood the difference between
SGML/XML and DSSSL/XSL (you're right it was a typo), I thought that if
you use SGML, you must use DSSSL, and if you use XML, you must use XSL.
I was unaware you could use DSSSL with XML.  Is the converse true - can
you use XSL with SGML?

I also could not find a good description of equivelancies between XML
and SGML in terms of how to crunch documents, how to use entities, and
so on.  I learned by looking at examples from the linux documentation
project.

For example, I know that the first line (where you cite the DTD to which
you are conforming) is different for XML vs. SGML, but that is about the
extent of the documentation I could find for the difference.

Can any of you suggest a web page that might have the same document in
XML and SGML, and show differences in both the document and in how to
compile it?

(if any of you would like to forward specifics on tool tips to me, i'm
using debian and docbook-utils v0.6.12-3.  ;)

> > Lurking on this list for a bit it seems that 90% of the questions are
> > answered with XML syntax.  Is it the case that though nobody really
> > seems to say so everyone actually uses XML?
>
> It is clear that SGML is slowly dying in favour of XML. For a new
> project where there is no legacy, I believe there is no question: use
> XML.

ok.  This confirms my impression, I will do so.

But...  at this point I have one (mostly) complete manual in SGML.  Any
tips on what I might need to change to switch it over, besides the first
line?  I think the only tricky part is that I have a couple of
conditionally compiled sections:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [

<!-- change INCLUDE below to IGNORE and none of the sections marked
  %internal / versoin2 will be included when you compile the document.
-->
<!entity % internal "INCLUDE">
<!entity % version2 "IGNORE">

]>

<book>
<![%version2; [
  <section id="installtunnel">
]>

I have also made a few changes to
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/docbook-utils.dsl.  I didn't want
to figure out how to create a proper customization layer so I just
changed that one.  (this is the .dsl that is used when I type
'docbook2{html,pdf} mydoc.docbook'.) Most of the changes are just
switching variables from #t to #f, but a couple are more interesting,
such as preferring pdf imagedata objects in print, and suppressing <p>
tags within <ul> tags by redefining the (listitem para
itemizedlist) element.

Will those have to be completely redone in XSL?  Though I conceptually
understand the XML/XSL/DSSSL thing now, I'm still fuzzy on
implementation details.

Thanks for your comments so far!

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben@hartshorne.net

PGP signature

Ben Hratshorne wrote:

> I was confused by this.  Though I understood the difference between
> SGML/XML and DSSSL/XSL (you're right it was a typo), I thought that if
> you use SGML, you must use DSSSL, and if you use XML, you must use XSL.
> I was unaware you could use DSSSL with XML.  Is the converse true - can
> you use XSL with SGML?

No. You must first convert SGML into XML. You can use tools like sx for
this task.

> Can any of you suggest a web page that might have the same document in
> XML and SGML, and show differences in both the document and in how to
> compile it?

The biggest difference is that XML doesn't support minimalization
features of SGML which allow you to not close some tags and use other
markup shortcuts.

> But...  at this point I have one (mostly) complete manual in SGML.  Any
> tips on what I might need to change to switch it over, besides the first
> line?  I think the only tricky part is that I have a couple of
> conditionally compiled sections:
>
> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
>
> <!-- change INCLUDE below to IGNORE and none of the sections marked
>   %internal / versoin2 will be included when you compile the document.
> -->
> <!entity % internal "INCLUDE">
> <!entity % version2 "IGNORE">
>
> ]>
>
> <book>
> <![%version2; [
>   <section id="installtunnel">
> ]>

This is not supported by XML. But you can substitute this by profiling
http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SpecialHandling.html#Profiling

> Will those have to be completely redone in XSL?  Though I conceptually
> understand the XML/XSL/DSSSL thing now, I'm still fuzzy on
> implementation details.

Many XSL stylesheets parameters are very similar to those known from
DSSSL. It is usually not so hard to port DSSSL customizations to XSL.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:57:24PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Ben Hratshorne wrote:
>
> > I was confused by this.  Though I understood the difference between
> > SGML/XML and DSSSL/XSL (you're right it was a typo), I thought that if
> > you use SGML, you must use DSSSL, and if you use XML, you must use XSL.
> > I was unaware you could use DSSSL with XML.  Is the converse true - can
> > you use XSL with SGML?
>
> No. You must first convert SGML into XML. You can use tools like sx for
> this task.

any idea what debian package might have this tool?

> > Can any of you suggest a web page that might have the same document in
> > XML and SGML, and show differences in both the document and in how to
> > compile it?
>
> The biggest difference is that XML doesn't support minimalization
> features of SGML which allow you to not close some tags and use other
> markup shortcuts.

What about non-closing tags such as imagedata?
	<mediaobject>
	  <imageobject>
	    <imagedata fileref="images/stack.pdf">
	  </imageobject>
	  <imageobject>
	    <imagedata fileref="images/stack.png">
	  </imageobject>
   </mediaobject>

> > But...  at this point I have one (mostly) complete manual in SGML.  Any
> > tips on what I might need to change to switch it over, besides the first
> > line?  I think the only tricky part is that I have a couple of
> > conditionally compiled sections:
> >
> > [entitity example cut]
> >

> This is not supported by XML. But you can substitute this by profiling
> http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SpecialHandling.html#Profiling

That link (and the rest of the manual at the same place) is very nice; I
handn't found it before.  Thank you!

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben@hartshorne.net

PGP signature

Ben Hratshorne wrote:

> What about non-closing tags such as imagedata?
>         <mediaobject>
>           <imageobject>
>             <imagedata fileref="images/stack.pdf">
>           </imageobject>
>           <imageobject>
>             <imagedata fileref="images/stack.png">
>           </imageobject>
>    </mediaobject>

Just add trailing / for empty element like:

	<imagedata fileref="images/stack.pdf"/>

> > This is not supported by XML. But you can substitute this by profiling
> > http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SpecialHandling.html#Profiling
>
> That link (and the rest of the manual at the same place) is very nice; I
> handn't found it before.  Thank you!

Yes, Bob's guide is a must read for anyone interested in using XSL
stylesheets.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz

>Very interesting. Will be these features usable with RTF backend or just
>with JadeTeX? Do you plan to support footnotes in RTF?

I am the one in charge of the page-sequence and column-set-sequence implementation.
One of the students in my university accepted the project I proposed for
developing OpenJade, and it has been very enriching for him, it is a complex
thing adequate for a university student.

As you have asked, I tell you the state of the implementation.

All the flow objects that were defined in the original DSSSL standard are
already implemented, page-sequence and column-set-sequence included, but
those two are only half implemented, because we have yet to accept page-model
definitions. We are working on it, and it will be finished shortly. In the
new OpenJade release, the flow object positioning restrictions will be also
implemented (some flow objects can only be places as children of other ones).
In some days we will put in CVS all the code developed.

The development we are doing only places the flow objects in the flow object
tree. This is the part defined in DSSSL. Backends in openjade are developed
to generate a formatting that responds to the flow object tree. I have been
told by many that the RTF backend is not powerfull enough as to accept the
complexity that can introduce the page-model and column-set-model definitions.
We have not yet started developing any formatting for the new flow objects,
but my plan is to start with jadetex. My idea is to import as much of the
jadetex functionality into openjade, and perform computations inside the
tool, and not in the formatting.

I hope this answers your questions. We are extremely in need of developers.
It seems XML tools have taken all the attention, forgetting that there are
already good working tools that could be also interesting. But we will slowly
finish it. I hope our efforts will catch someone's attention and with time
we can manage to find more developers.

I have send a late breaking news proposal to XML Europe about the development
we have done, but I am quite sure they are not interested at all.

Nueva Tiscali ADSL libre www.tiscali.es/libre
ˇˇˇ POR SÓLO 16,95 euros al mes !!!
+ tiempo de conexión (0,024 ./min.)
Y cuota máxima garantizada de 39,95 ./mes
AHORA ALTA GRATIS
ˇˇˇ Por fin pagas por lo que consumes !!!

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 12:11:12PM +0100, simon.rutishauser wrote:

> hi,
>
> I tried to get my Screenshots scaled to 60% size for pdf output with fop.
> Actually it doesn't really work. Scaling only works with hard-coded sizes
> (e.g. 170 pixels or so) but not with percents.
> Does anybody know how I get this working?

It is a limitation of FOP.  It simply does not respond
to % settings for graphics.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com

hi there,

I'm (again) trying to figure out how to document
APIs using docbook. I'v written a tool that parses
source code into an 'Abstract Syntax Tree':

http://synopsis.sf.net

, but up to now I have not been able to represent
the result adequately in docbook, so the tool only
provides formatters for other formats such as html,
texinfo, etc.

I'v been looking into the available docbook markup
elements, but either the right elements are missing
or they are not really suitable for the purpose:

I'd like to document types, variables, constants,
functions, etc. But while some of them seem to be
supported (there are elements for 'classsynopsis'
and similar), others are not. Here is a list of elements
I miss. I'd very much appreciate if others could either
confirm that there is nothing semantically similar, or
how I could document these things instead:

* 'type' seems to name types, not describe them. What
   about a 'typesynopsis' to actually define specific types ?

* same for 'variable': what about a 'variablesynopsis' (or 'varsynopsis') ?
   And, while we are at it: what is special about a 'field'
   (docbook's name for 'member variables') ? If there was a
   generic 'variable' element, couldn't 'fieldname' be considered
   a specialized 'variable' (or then 'varname') ?

* again for 'constant': a 'constsynopsis' to contain constant definition

* a 'modulesynopsis' to define 'contexts', 'scopes', 'packages' or
   whatever this may be called in the various programming languages

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I'd like to either find
out how to 'correctly' represent these things in docbook, or
understand better what is missing so I could submit an RFE.

Thanks,
		Stefan

At 2:02 PM -0500 2/12/03, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>It's rather libxml2 now comply to the XInclude requirement of adding such
>an xml:base at the inclusion point (when the included resource is in
>a different path ...)

I'm looking at this for my XIncluder right now, and the requirement
seems a little stronger to me. They don't even have to be in a
different path. Suppose for example,
http://www.example.com/docs/parent.xml includes
http://www.example.com/docs/child.xml

These two documents have different base URIs even though they have
the same "path". Thus an xml:base attribute must be added at the
inclusion point whenever parse="xml". The only possible exception
would be when both the includer and the included document has null or
empty base URIs, or perhaps when XPointers are involved and one
xinclude element is including a different part of the same document.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 02:15:55PM -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 2:02 PM -0500 2/12/03, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >It's rather libxml2 now comply to the XInclude requirement of adding such
> >an xml:base at the inclusion point (when the included resource is in
> >a different path ...)
>

> I'm looking at this for my XIncluder right now, and the requirement
> seems a little stronger to me. They don't even have to be in a
> different path. Suppose for example,
> http://www.example.com/docs/parent.xml includes
> http://www.example.com/docs/child.xml
>
> These two documents have different base URIs even though they have
> the same "path". Thus an xml:base attribute must be added at the
> inclusion point whenever parse="xml". The only possible exception
> would be when both the includer and the included document has null or
> empty base URIs, or perhaps when XPointers are involved and one
> xinclude element is including a different part of the same document.

  I tried to minimize the addition of xml:base when it could be avoided
in practice (i.e. if the absence of the xml:base would not generate
erroneous URI-References to URI computations). This was a deployment
trade-off that I will fix when XInclude and xml:base will get better
acceptance.

Daniel

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:02:27PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Yann Dirson wrote:
>
> > This is not true as well.  Although it has been dormant for a long
> > time, Openjade 1.3.1 and then 1.3.2 were released several months ago.
> > Work is ongoing to incorporate the developments that were done in the
> > 1.4 branch.  And people are working at implementing the most
> > critically missing part of DSSSL, namely the full-fledged
> > page-sequence model, which will allow fancy things like lexible
> > multi-columning, marginalia, etc.
>
> Very interesting. Will be these features usable with RTF backend or just
> with JadeTeX? Do you plan to support footnotes in RTF?

IIRC developments are focusing on JadeTeX backend mainly, but I may be
wrong.

Regards,
--

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:37:55PM -0800, Ben Hratshorne wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:57:24PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> > Ben Hratshorne wrote:
> >
> > > I was confused by this.  Though I understood the difference between
> > > SGML/XML and DSSSL/XSL (you're right it was a typo), I thought that if
> > > you use SGML, you must use DSSSL, and if you use XML, you must use XSL.
> > > I was unaware you could use DSSSL with XML.  Is the converse true - can
> > > you use XSL with SGML?
> >
> > No. You must first convert SGML into XML. You can use tools like sx for
> > this task.

So basically, if you can afford a slightly more conplicated build
process, Jirka just said "yes you can" :)

> any idea what debian package might have this tool?

It's available as "sgml2xml" in old package "sp", and as "osx" in
package "opensp".

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique
Senior Free-Software Consultant          Consultant senior en Logiciels Libres
Debian developer (dirson@debian.org)                        Développeur Debian

I noticed that in Slides 3.1.0 based on Simplified DocBook, the
speakernotes element is added to local.divcomponent.mix and
local.component.mix, such that one can write speakernotes for each slide.

In Slides Full, speakernotes are only available in the slides element.

Is this an oversight, or is there a reason for this?

I tried to add speakernotes to the two local.*component.mix and
everything seems to work perfectly with Norm's stylesheets.

Best regards,

     Rune Lausen

How do I remove the last dot in chapter and section enumeration (2.4 instead of 2.4.) in toc, list of tables and list of figures. For titels it works fine to change language file, but that doesn’t work for toc.