docbook-elearning message

Subject: Re: [docbook-elearning] DocBook <topic> element proposal

Hi Tim,

you could certainly declare a docbook document as a resource. The topic
proposal is to allow a much more granular object that contains only the
content for that topic. If you use a full book as a resource, for
example, there is likely to be too much content for the particular
module you want to use this in.

As Bob explained, section is a typical granular level of content, but
expects to be a part of some larger container (such as chapter, preface,
appendix, etc.). The topic would be a standalone unit of content.

In the case of eLearning, the topic could easily be a reusable learning
object (resource), useful in more than one module.

There are some other ways that assemblies can "cast" resources so they
are rendered at a particular level, but that may be too complex to get
into right now.

HTH,

--Scott