docbook-publishers message

Subject: RE: [docbook-publishers] article/@class Additions?

Hi,

I'd suggest that "journalarticle" is an article in a journal. If we want
to include "or other periodical" then the attribute name should not
include the "journal" part, but should be plain "article".

A published academic article always belongs to a journal (though it
might be an online-only Journal) and I think that the element (I assume
it is such and not an attribute) will carry the publication type
("journal" "whitepaper" etc). It seems to me that the list below
confuses types of article with types of publication. White papers are
usually stand-alone and cited purely by title, whereas journal articles
are cited by article title, page, journal title, volume and issue.

I would have to say that, to me, none of the enumerated article values
other than "journalarticle" are semantically articles at all.

Has anyone looked at the ISO 12083 Article DTD?

John.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Fahlgren [mailto:keith@oreilly.com]
Sent: 23 January 2008 21:47
To: docbook-publishers@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [docbook-publishers] article/@class Additions?

Hi,

I'd like to open the floor for a discussion of additional values we'll
need to
add to the @class attribute of <article>[1] to properly markup the
documents
produced by our target publishers. The current list is: [2]

"""
class
  Identifies the nature of the article

  Enumerated values:
    "faq" 	    A collection of frequently asked questions.
    "journalarticle" 	    An article in a journal or other periodical.
    "productsheet" 	    A description of a product.
    "specification" 	    A specification.
    "techreport" 	    A technical report.
    "whitepaper" 	    A white paper.
"""

My take is that "journalarticle"'s definition is too broad.

Thanks,
Keith

1. I couldn't find an earlier discussion in the minutes.
2.
http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/article.html#attribute-descriptions