docbook-publishers message

Subject: Dialog & Poetry Markup

Hi Richard,

On 5/6/09 2:04 AM, Kwan, Richard wrote:
> I manage data conversion and an asset store within a content management
> programme at Penguin UK. I've wanted to attend the DocBook Publishers SC
> meetings but being based in the UK the timing hasn't worked out for me
> so far.

At the moment, the SubCommittee is really trying to get the draft up for public
review. I suspect that we'd be willing to reschedule the meetings if and when we
schedule more.

> I note under point 5 in the minutes that examples of dialog and poetry
> are required, we have quite a lot in DocBook5 - could I ask what it's
> needed for and how it would be used as depending on its usage I may be
> able to help?

The group is very interested in the way in which you've struggled marking up
dialog and poetry as well as comments on the approach we've modeled in our
draft. We have attempted to improve the semantics available for dialog and poetry.

There are some examples of the markup we've proposed here:
https://docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/docbook/trunk/docbook/relaxng/publishers/samples

         <poetry>
             <title>Auld Lang Syne</title>
             <info>
                 <author>
                     <personname>
                         <firstname>Robert</firstname>
                         <surname>Burns</surname>
                     </personname>
                 </author>
             </info>
             <linegroup>
                 <line>Should auld acquaintance be forgot,</line>
                 <line>And never brought to mind?</line>
                 <line>Should auld acquaintance be forgot,</line>
                 <line>And auld lang syne?</line>
             </linegroup>
             <linegroup>
                 <line>For auld lang syne, my dear,</line>
                 <line>For auld lang syne,</line>
                 <line>We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,</line>
                 <line>For auld lang syne.</line>
             </linegroup>

Thanks,
Keith