Subject: Re: Blessing DocBk XML?

There are in fact a few options:

a) Norm puts his XML version of the Docbook DTD, as requested by
Norbert, up somewhere in Oasis (not in the docbook area), with an FPI
that has no mention of Docbook in it -- this group has nothing to do
with that, and no further action is required. [But I don't think that I
personally would be too fond of this, to tell the truth]

b) Norm presents his XML version of Docbook to this group and asks for
this group's blessing [which is what he has in fact done] so it can be
published with an Oasis/Docbook FPI. What bothers me about this is that
there is (to the public) no clear relationship between this XML dtd and
what this group is going to come out with in the 5.0 timeframe. Nor
is it clear what kind of compatibility morass we would get into if
we blessed this now and then discovered that 5.0 (or whatever) contradicts
it (think dealing with exclusions, for instance).

c) This group requests Norm to postpone any action until the December
meeting, at which time we try to figure out in person what's the best
way to proceed (that is, do we go for (a), (b), an xmlization of 4.0,
etc.)

Comments?

We can vote on a-b-c
We can also vote solely on b