Subject: Re: Docbook meeting at X-Tech

At 3 Feb 2000 12:06 -0800, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
 > Tony Graham wrote:
 > >
 > > At 28 Jan 2000 11:18 -0800, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
 > >  > The Docbook meeting at X-Tech is set for:
 > >  >
 > >  > Wednesday 3/1 all day
 > >  > Thursday  3/2 morning
 > >  >
 > >  > The meetings will be at the Hilton hotel, room to
 > >  > be announced.
 > >
 > > Is there an agenda?
 >
 > No, the agenda has not been set yet; given the problems caused by
 > past announcements at the last minute, I thought it would be convenient
 > this time to set up and announce the dates as soon as possible, and
 > deal with the agenda later.
 >

 > > Why does OASIS schedule its meetings to conflict with the conference?
 >
 > This is not OASIS's fault; the scheduling has been done at the
 > requests of the chairs of the various TCs, who much prefer to travel
 > to one place than to have to travel to three or four places if they
 > are active in more than one TC. I believe participants other than
 > chairs share in this preference too, as well as the desire not to have
 > to travel somewhere for two weeks instead of one. I thought the arrangement
 > worked quite well in Philadelphia. (It certainly worked fine for me ;-)

It did not work for me in Philadelphia since I was already enrolled in
a tutorial by the time the meeting dates were announced.

It does not work for me in San Jose.  Since the DocBook meeting is
opposite half of the conference, I'm being asked to choose between
going to the conference and going to the DocBook meeting.  The lack of
an agenda for the DocBook meeting makes it a difficult choice,
although if there continues to be no agenda, it will eventually make
the choice very easy.

I, too, want to travel to one place instead of several, and it was
convenient when SGML Open and then OASIS meetings were scheduled
following conferences.  However, when the meeting conflicts with the
conference that is the reason for having the meeting at that time and
that location, the idea of co-locating so people can go to both the
conference and the meeting simply falls apart.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632