Subject: ISO 8879 Entities in XML

Hi,

I'm not sure who to send this to, so apologies for starting so high up
the standards chain :-)

Several years ago, I prepared a set of XML entity declarations modeled
directly on the ISO 8879 sets for character entities. These are now
distributed as part of the OASIS DocBook XML distribution.

In recent months, many people have asked me for an "official" set of
such declarations independent of the DocBook distribution.

I have proposed that OASIS produce such a set (perhaps from a
subcommittee of the DocBook technical committee as the work is
essentially complete), but before proceeding it seems prudent to ask
if ISO intends to produce a set. It seems reasonable to assume that an
XML version of the ISO 8879 entities would come from ISO eventually.

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Always do one thing less than you think
http://nwalsh.com/            | you can do.--Bernard Baruch