Subject: Proposed DocBook charter update

During my discussions with Karl about producing a set of XML character
entities, we concluded that the DocBook TC could accomplish this by
modifying its charter. It subsequently became evident that we never
published an official charter.

I propose the text below. Comments, please. (I intended to call a vote
on this charter at the next meeting, 21 Aug 2001 (assuming no one
objects, naturally).)

   The purpose of this committee is to develop and maintain the DocBook
   family of specifications. In particular, this TC maintains the XML
   and SGML DocBook DTDs, a suite of extension modules, and a simplified
   authoring subset of DocBook. The TC may also support other schema
   languages in the future and may develop additional modules and
   derived document types.

   The DocBook TC will develop, and publish as a separate specfication,
   a set of XML character entities, based on previously published ISO
   9573 entity sets (themselves an extension of the ISO 8879 entity
   sets) for use in the XML version of DocBook and other related XML
   specifications.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | We discover in ourselves what
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | others hide from us, and we
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | recognize in others what we hide