Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Proposed modular hierarchy: diagrams, examples

/ "Nancy (Paisner) Harrison" <nancyh@rational.com> was heard to say:
| glossary or bibliography that didn't apply to a specific book. Or
| are you thinking that an article might have its own appendix? (I
| have to admit that im my scheme of things, an article with an
| appendix would be a candidate for an appendectomy...)

Nah. I do it frequently.

| - I think an additional helpset module is the right way to go in
| making DocBook more accessible out-of-the-box foto me is:
|         - a root element (helpset?)
|         - topic elements, probably with the same structure as
| chapter/appendix Frankly, I can't think of any others except
| navigation (see below), since once you get past the topic level, the
| structure and content model is the same as for anything else.

Nancy and I talked about this during the non-telcon today. I'm going
to make a straw proposal momentarily.

| - Navigation module: if we want to really support helpsets or webs,
| we need to define some new navigational elements, distinct from TOC,
| LOT, Index, etc. that are more suited to online information.  For
| example, they would need to be able to include different paths to
| the same leaf node.

What other navigational elements were you thinking of?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | There is a great difference
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | between seeking how to raise a
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | laugh from everything, and seeking