Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] xNAL, <personname>,& RFE 480957 (Name and address markup)

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| Outside of Ram Kumar's general request that we review their xNAL DTD,
| I don't think there's been a specific proposal from anyone to change
| the <address> content model -- no as part of RFE 480957 at least.

That's true. We were really only looking at personal names. Having
looked more closely at their content models, I have to say some of
them seem quite strange. (Why does country allow addresslines and
thoroughfare?)

| Moving onto the "name" part of the xNAL DTD, their person-name markup
| is at:
>
|   http://www.logopoeia.com/xml/xNAL/personname.html
>
| and compared to the address markup, looks a bit less complicated
>
|   personname ::=
|   ( precedingtitle * , title * , firstname * , middlename * ,
|     lastnameprefix ? , lastname * , othername * , formername * ,
|     alias * , generationidentifier * , suffix * , generalsuffix ? )
>
| The content of most of those child elements is #PCDATA.
>
| But it's still more complicated than the new DocBook <personname>
| element that Norm has proposed as part of RFE 480957:
>
|   personname ::=
|   ((honorific|firstname|surname|lineage|othername)+)

So I think we can say that our name markup is a subset of theirs, with
a little remapping:

  honorific = title
  firstname = firstname
  surname = lastname
  lineage = generationidentifier
  othername = othername

I don't think there's any compelling reason for us to harmonize
towards their names for the individual components. And even if there
was, I'd be opposed because I happen to think that 'lastname' is a
poor choice for I18N reasons (they aren't always last, and what does
last mean in a bidi text?).

| If we add a <personname> element, it seems reasonable that a user
| might want to use it within a normal <para> or whatever to mark up the

Yes, I agree.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The important thing is not what
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | the author, or any artist, had in
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | mind to begin with but at what