Subject: [docbook-tc] Proposed charter change

Our charter currently reads, in part:

      The DocBook TC will also develop specifications based on
      previously published standards for use in the XML version of
      DocBook and other related XML specifications; the first such
      specification will be based on previously published ISO 9573
      entity sets (themselves an extension of the ISO 8879 entity
      sets).

Subsequent research on my part reveals that most of the relevant parts
of ISO 9573 were never officially published and exist only in drafts.

I therefore propose that we change our charter in the following way:

      The DocBook TC will also develop specifications based on
      previously published standards for use in the XML version of
      DocBook and other related XML specifications.

In other words, I think the "the first such..." is (a) not appropriate
for a charter and (b) technically inaccurate.

I'll make this an agenda item for the next meeting, but in the
meantime, please let me know if you have any comments.

Another positive advantage of this change is that we can finish the
XML Character Entities document almost immediately :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | A man may by custom fortify
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | himself against pain, shame, and
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | suchlike accidents; but as to