Subject: Re: <refgroup>

Hi Nuno,

You wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't really know if this can be already done with latest docbook, because
> I'm not a docbook expert, but I would like you to help me :)
>
> I would like to use nested refentrys or something like that. The PHP
> documentation is thinking in creating a customised docbook sheet to include
> a special <refgroup>.

Actually, it looks like they have already added <refgroup> -

  http://www.manucorp.com/archives/phpdoc/200409/msg00084.php
  http://www.manucorp.com/archives/phpdoc/200409/msg00082.php

> Is there any way to make this in a "legal" docbook way?

Based on your example (below), I'd say that one way to mark up what's in
your example using valid DocBook is this:

  <book>
    <part id="funcref">
      <title>FunctionReference</title>

      <chapter id="refs.basic">
        <title>Basic PHP Extensions</title>

        <section id="refs.basic.vartype">
          <title>Variable and Type Related Extensions</title>

          <section id="reference.array.reference">
            <title>...</title>
            <refentry>
            </refentry>
          </section>
        </section>
      </chapter>
    </part>
  </book>

That uses nested Section elements in place of the custom Refgroup element

Based on the change shown in the php.net CVS logs, it looks like the
php-doc folks had made a previous customization to the DTD to

  - allow Section as a child of Part
  - allow Reference as a child of Section

But they have now added Refgroup and replaced the Section/Reference
instances in the source for the PHP manual with Refgroup/Reference.

It seems like the main rationale behind both the original changes and
the new one is to be able to use the Reference element at a sectioning
level that official DocBook doesn't currently allow.

But the same effect can be achieved by not using Reference at all and
instead using nested Section elements (Part/Chapter/Section/Section/Refentry).

There's no "requirement" in DocBook to use Reference to group multiple
Refentry elements. The Section element can be used for the same thing.

So one suggestion is to use the Part/Chapter/Section/Section/Refentry
structure. But if you or others working on the PHP docs think that won't
work for your needs, please submit an RFE at the DocBook project site at
Sourceforge:

  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=21935&atid=384107

I guess you could just title it "Add Refgroup for grouping Reference
elements with Parts" or something like that. But you should also provide
a rationale explaining why the Part/Chapter/Section/Section/Refentry
structure doesn't meet your needs.

  --Mike