Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] DocBook Charter

/ "Karl F. Best" <karl.best@oasis-open.org> was heard to say:
| Norm:
|
| May I offer some suggestions?

Of course. You pointed me to SAML as a good template to steal from and
that's what I did.

| The Process requires a bit more
| information under each of these sections.
|
|> Name
|> The official name is the DocBook Technical Committee. It is sometimes
|> unofficially called the "DocBook TC" or the "DocBook committee".
|
| How about just: "The name of the TC is the OASIS DocBook Technical
| Committee." (Don't include any unofficial names.)

Ok.

|> Statement of Purpose
|> The purpose of this committee is to develop and maintain the DocBook
|> family of specifications. In particular, this Technical Committee
|> maintains the XML and SGML DocBook schemas, a suite of extension
|> modules, and a simplified authoring subset of DocBook. The Technical
|> Committee plans to support a variety of schema languages and may
|> develop additional modules and derived document types.
|
| The statement of purpose is suppose to include "a definition of the
| problem to be solved."

The DocBook TC is largely a maintainance organization at this point,
do you have any suggestions for how that might be phrased in
accordance with the process document?

|> Scope of Work
|> The TC is engaged in evolving the suite of DocBook specifications.
|> The
|> scope of the DocBook TC will be guided by the above Statement of
|> Purpose. This effort will deliver on the following goals:
|>     * Address issues and enhancement requests that have arisen from
|>       experience with real-world DocBook implementations.
|>     * Add support for features that were deferred from previous
|>       versions of DocBook.
|
| The scope should include a statement of what is out of scope as well.

Uhm. Ok. I guess. I'll take a stab at that.

|> List of Deliverables
|> The TC expects to update the following specifications to reflect
|> issues and enhancements adopted by the TC.
|>   * The DocBook SGML Document Type
|>   * The DocBook XML Document Type
|>   * Simplified DocBook
|>   * The DocBook EBNF Module
|>   * The DocBook HTML Forms Module
|>   * The DocBook MathML Module
|>   * The DocBook SVG Module
|
| These should have delivery dates (e.g. "DocBook XML Docuemnt Type v4.0
| will be completed by 4Q 2004").

Yeah, fair enough.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | First time surrealists are often
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | confused by the similarities
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | between fish and telephones.