Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Re: [members] OASIS member review of proposedrevision of TC Process

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Norman Walsh wrote:

> In the proposed[1] revision[2], I find:
>
>   TC Visibility
>
>   All resources of the TC and its associated subcommittees, including
>   web pages, documents, email lists and any other discussions, must be
>   located only on facilities provided by OASIS; TCs and SCs may not
>   conduct business or technical discussions, store documents, or host
>   web pages on non-OASIS servers.
>
> By a strict interpretation of this clause, I am forbidden from
> mirroring the DocBook specifications and schemas on docbook.org.

By a strict interpretation of this clause, it would appear that
you are likewise forbidden from mirroring the DocBook specifications
on the hard disk of your private computer: the text does not say:
"All publicly accessible resources... located only on..."

I suspect that "of" in "resources of the TC" means "produced as
official published artifacts through the official activities of".

Is that correct? [Hmmm... I don't know who's supposed to answer
this question, as the "feedback" mechanism for this draft
seems to envision only that a reader has a comment, not that
s/he might have a question that needs an answer, as prerequisite
to ascertaining whether s/he might have others comments or
questions, based upon the answer]

> Is
> that the intent? Or is the intent merely that no TC content may appear
> solely on non-OASIS servers?

I have the same question, and potential concern. Many dozens,
no hundreds, perhaps thousands of textual artifacts I have archived
in the Cover Pages over many years, are "of" OASIS working parties
and "of" other corporate entities -- corporate and individual authors
quite happy to allow archiving of milestone standards documents,
email messages, DTDs, schemas, and other resources, for public access.

> Suppose a third party, unaffiliated with OASIS or the TC constructs
> such a mirror? Will OASIS pursue having those materials removed from
> the mirror?

Indeed: to what purpose?

Google and several other public archive projects already do this
kind of "mirroring."  It's now common practice.  See for example
(especially) the OASIS PDF-format documents indexed on Google, and the
typical link to "View as HTML," which comes from a Google-controlled
Internet domain, not from OASIS.

I composed a note [1] articulating what I think must be the intent of
this draft text in the revised TC process document, with a suggestion
to simply remove the word "only" -- it's apparently otiose, and
evidently confusing.  It would be nice if someone on the editorial
team could provide a clarification on this point, perhaps to the
OASIS 'Chairs' list where the question has been raised in public
view.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200410/msg00021.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200410/msg00024.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200410/msg00025.html [1]