Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Re: Docbook tree location

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
> | It looks like the subdirectories at the OASIS site (in particular,
> | the http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/ page) still haven't
> | been updated.
>
> I got notification from the webmaster yesterday that they had been
> updated, but I agree it isn't working yet. I'm still investigating.
>
> | I'd like to propose that we give up on trying to maintain any
> | publicly accessible content at OASIS other than the stuff under
> | that shows up under the http://www.oasis-open.org/committees
> | and instead just ask them to set up their Web server to have
> | everything under http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ redirected to
> | the corresponding subdirectories at http://docbook.org/
>
> I think that would be in violation of the revised process.

Does anyone else besides me find this state of affairs to be not just
super-annoying, but downright unacceptable?

It's embarassing to have to address posts (like the one to docbook the other
day) asking where the DocBook DTDs are, why the system IDs in the latest
DTDs aren't valid, and why the stuff is on docbook.org instead of OASIS.

This situation has been unacceptable for so long that I worry that we're all
just getting numb to it & are forgetting how utterly & completely OASIS is
failing in their role of providing some *really basic* infrastructure. Ugh.

Maybe I just need to quit drinking coffee:) Either that or OASIS should get
their act together.

Mark

Mark Johnson      <mrj@debian.org>
Debian XML/SGML:  <http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org>
Home Page:        <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242