Subject: adding CALS attrs to HTML tables

Bob,

In general, I "want" to be against adding "foreign"
attributes to the HTML table model tags, but I'm
having a hard time substantiating my gut reaction.
I'm still on the fence here, so I'm trying to think
about this some more.

I rarely find myself using these attributes to affect
the styling of my tables.  So I need to understand
better how you are using these CALS "table style hints"
attributes to determine what the benefits might be
to adding them to HTML tables.

floatstyle is not a CALS attribute.

Do we really allow this on CALS table elements?
If so, then I don't see how we can argue not to
add it to HTML table elements.

The CALS tabstyle attribute is "an identifier for
a table style defined for the application, possibly
in the style specification."  One could argue to
use either the style attribute or class attribute
on the HTML table element to accomplish the same
function, I suppose.  Not sure this is that much
preferable to adding this attribute to the HTML
table model.

Then the CALS pgwide attribute can be used to signal
spanning of multicolumn pages, and the CALS orient
attribute can be used to to request that the table
be put by itself on one or more landscape oriented
pages.  Short of just punting to some use of the
class attribute on the HTML table tag, I don't know
how to accomplish this other than adding these
attributes to the HTML table model.

I suppose one could just say that you can't landscape
or span HTML tables; that that's the price you pay
for using the HTML table model because we don't want
to allow the creation of non-standard hybrid tables.

But I'm having a hard time getting worked up over
this.  It seems we can add the attributes, and then
post a warning:  the DocBook DTD allows you to create
tables that go beyond standard CALS and HTML tables;
you gun, your bullet, your foot.

What do others think?

paul