Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] "Kahlúa" comments

Norman Walsh wrote:

> |     Or we can go even further and declare named pattern for value of
> | attribute:
> |
> |      db.classsynopsis.attribute.class.value =  "class" | "interface"
> |      db.classsynopsis.attribute.class = attribute class {
> | db.classsynopsis.attribute.class.value }
> |
> |     DocBook extension will then be even more easier
> |
> |      include "docbook.rnc"
> |      {
> |        db.classsynopsis.attribute.class.value |= "abstractclass"
> |      }
>
> Uhm. Yeah. I don't know if it makes sense to go that far or not.

There are several uses cases from history. Attributes that are defined
by enumerations are time to time extended to allow new values. At the
same time customizations of DocBook often also add new permitted values.
If we will use design approach that I proposed, the customization can be
used without any changes also with newer version of DocBook schema as it
only adds new values. It doesn't contain whole list of permitted values
which can evolve with each released version of DocBook and can easily go
out-of-sync in customization.

I think that this design approach is worth using at least for attributes
that are defined as enumerations (usually class attribute on various
elements).

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature