Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] DocBook V5.0 spec

Norman Walsh wrote:

> At long last, here's a draft of the DocBook V5.0 specification.

Thanks Norm, good work.

> Comments most welcome.

I found one typo in appendix B. There is "Hewlett-Packardn" with "n" at
the end.

I think that there should be reference to Schematron specification
(http://xml.ascc.net/resource/schematron/Schematron2000.html). Probably
in non-normative section because DocBook 5.0 is not using ISO Schematron
  (which is neither yet final standard).

The next comment is not related to specification itself but to DocBook
V5.0 in general. I got several questions about DocBook V5.0 and XInclude
in past weeks. I think that many users would want to use DocBook V5.0
together with XInclude. Current Relax NG grammar doesn't define XInclude
element and each user must create his/her own customization that adds
XInclude element to appropriate (read all) places.

I think that we should either add xi:include into schema, or define
empty named pattern that will be part of all content models. It will be
then very easy to redefine this pattern to xi:include to allow it occur
everywhere.

I don't know which from those two approaches is better. Adding
xi:include directly into grammar would be good for users, but I don't
feel it is right thing to define XInclude elements inside DocBook
schema. Maybe we could provide two schemas -- pure and XInclude-aware.
The later one will be just small customization of the former one.

I would like to know your opinion about level of XInclude support. I
think that this is the question that will be raised after we officaly
release DocBook 5.0.

Take care,

					Jirka

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature