Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] RE: DocBook TC action item reminder

/ "Rowland, Larry" <larry.rowland@hp.com> was heard to say:
| If it can be arranged, it would be preferable for the W3C schema to
| allow attributes in situations that are inappropriate rather than
| prohibiting them when they may be necessary.

Indeed, that's the plan. I'm thoroughly confused at the moment by the
state of the XSD schemas. I know I ran them through some Xerces tests
at one point, but now Xerces is complaining that xlink:href is
required everywhere, and sure enough, it looks like it is.

| A more thorough investigation of the differences between the W3C and
| RelaxNG schemas is probably appropriate, since the current failure to
| correctly map the RelaxNG into W3C schema is, at least in the case of
| indexterm startref attributes makes it impossible for a file valid
| according to the W3C schema to access some functionality that is bound
| to the grammar.

Right, that's not supposed to be the case. The XSD should never be "tighter"
than the RELAX NG grammar (in many cases it must be "looser").

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The only thing that makes life
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | possible is permanent, intolerable
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | uncertainty; not knowing what