OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 May 2006

/ "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> was heard to say:
| DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 May 2006
| =============================================================

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 17 May 2006 at
05:00p EDT (02:00p PDT, 21:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 06:00JST+,
02:30a India+) for 90 minutes.

| Agenda

Scribe: Norm

| 1. Roll call


Steven Cogorno
Gary Cornelius
Scott Hudson
Larry Rowland
Paul Grosso
Richard Hamilton
Nancy Harrison [xx:34-]
Jirka Kosek
Norman Walsh
Gershon Joseph


Robert Stayton


Adam Di Carlo
Mark Johnson
Alex Povzner

| 2. Accepting the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.


| 3. Next meeting: 21 June 2006

Proposed: 28 June 2006

Regrets: Dick


| 4. Review of the agenda.

Accepted with the addition of 5b.

| 5. Review of open action items
|    a.  Mark, Nancy, and Norm will consult their legal resources
|        regarding OASIS IPR policy choice.


|    b.  Norm and Bob to review and close any RFEs that should be closed.


|    c.  Norm to add these RNG customization guidelines to the reference
| guide.
|    d.  Dick to add RNG customization guidelines to the HowTo document.


|    e.  Jirka to investigate whether modifier needs to be added to any
|        content models (for synopsis annotations).


|    f.  Jirka to investigate whether modifier needs a class attribute.


|    g.  Norm to add person and org elements to V5 Beta 6.


5b. DocBook/ODF/DITA interop story

There's a mailing list for this. And Dee sent a summary of the interop
scenarios being discussed.

ODF? DITA/DocBook interop story is sort of obvious. The ODF angle
seems quite different.

Propose we invite Dee to attend next month for further discussion.


| 6.  DocBook 4.5 standards progress.

Norm thought it would go out for a vote this month.

Norm will follow-up with Mary to see what happened.

We'll figure out campaigning strategies for getting votes after the
call goes out.

| 7.  DocBook 5 issues.

Norm introduces the issue of foreignphrase in bibliomixed (it's not
allowed and should be).

Proposal: allow db.publishing.inlines in bibliography entries.


Jirka introduces the idea of a persistent URI for the latest DocBook

Pro: Documents like the HOWTO can refer to it.

Con: Using it for validation could be odd
     Users could get confused

Maybe what we need is a page that lists the latest version,
introducing a layer of indirection. Jirka wants direct links to the
schema documents directly.

Consensus is that problems with a "latest schema" link outweight the

Proposal: let's not.


When do we move 5.0 to CR?

Norm suggests that we wait until voting on 4.5 is finished.

Jirka worries that we won't get adoption until we get it out

Norm suggests that announcing CR1 at XML conference might be a good

Some agreement. We'll continue testing and see if we can continue to
feel confident about that date.

| 8.  Resolve ourselves against the new OASIS IPR policy.
|    See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200602/msg00038.html
|    Continued from previous meeting.

There are three IPR modes:

- RF on RAND
- RF on Limited Terms

Norm summarizes the state of play and suggests that RF on Limited
Terms is our best option. RAND didn't win any support.

No one objects to RF on Limited Terms as a proposal.

We must adopt the new terms by April 2007.

The open question is, are we comfortable with RF on Limited Terms?

Nancy suggests that it isn't ideal, it isn't as open as we might like,
but it's much better than ending the TC (our only other choice).

Can we restrict the license in future releases? Not for earlier
releases of course, but probably for a new release.

We believe DITA is going with RF on Limited Terms (but they haven't
voted yet.)

Proposal: We'll plan to advance with RF on Limited Terms eventually,
but we won't start the paperwork right away. We'll give folks time to
consider how confortable they are with RF on Limited Terms.


ACTION: Nancy/Norm to find out if making the license more restricted
is going to cause any heartburn.

| 9. Proposal for annotations on synopsis elements [2]
|    Continued from previous meeting.

Jirka summarizes his mail:


Proposal: change content model of methodparam as proposed and allow
xml:space on modifier.


| 10. Review of Requests for Enhancement
|    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
|      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;;
|      group_id=21935&atid=384107&aid=XXXX
|      1473273  person/org in author, editor, etc?

Now that we've added person, author looks a lot like person. Should
we put person inside author?

Norm points out the drawbacks: it's backwards incompatible and it adds
an extra wrapper that doesn't add any value.

|      1473274  add mediaobject to person and org

Scott outlines the use case, but observes that he's really talking
about extensions, not core hardware and software use cases.

Norm ponders the use of annotations.

Gershon isn't convinced; it's an infrequent need and not really the
typical use case for hardware and software documentation.

Norm suggests that Scott give it a try with annotations.

Proposal: Reject for now, Scott will bring it back if it comes up in
hardware and software documentation as a significant issue.


|      1478012  Add linumsep and linenumstep to programlisting and screen

Norm reminds the group about list number continuations in ordered lists
and the attribute for selecting proportional or monospaced fonts.

Gershon suggests that it's a stylesheet issue.

Jirka proposes that the stlyesheets could handle even the difficult
cases of numbering changes for very short listings.

General agreement that the separator is a bad idea in an attribute.

But starting and increment are possibly reasonable.

Norm worries about continuations and about starting item numbers in

Gershon points out that users can add custom attributes if they need

Norm worries about doing this without a comprehensive proposal. We
need to consider all the places where we have (or might have)
automatically generated numbers and try to treat them all the same.

ACTION: Norm to write a more comprehensive proposal for numbering changes.

Any other business?

Jirka asks if anyone else is going to WWW 2006? Not anyone else on the

Anyone going to Extreme? Norm and Larry...


| - ---
| [1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200604/msg00024.html
| [2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200602/msg00023.html

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Everything should be made as
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | simple as possible, but no simpler.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |

PGP signature

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]