OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 July 2006

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 July 2006

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 19 July 2006 at
05:00p EDT (02:00p PDT, 21:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 06:00JST+,
02:30a India+) for 45 minutes.

1. Roll call

Present: Gary Cornelius, Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, 
Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Jirka Kosek, 
Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh

Regrets: Steve Cogorno 

Absent: Mark Johnson

2. Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 16 August 2006


4. Review of the agenda.

No new agenda items.

5. Review of open action items

    a.  Norm and Bob to review and close any RFEs that should be closed.

    b.  Larry will write up a modified version of Norm's numbering
         mail to discuss further by email.

    c.  Bob to ask the RFE 1503012 submittor about using colophon instead.

    d.  Bob to add "audience" profiling attribute to next month's agenda.

6.  DocBook 4.5 standards progress.

Norm filed all the paperwork to make DocBook 4.5 an official
OASIS standard (as opposed to a committee standard).  It
will come up for an OASIS vote on August 1.

7.  DocBook 5 issues.

Per RFE #1520074, Norm put effectivity attributes into separate
definitions to permit easier customization.

Norm plans to put together the schema with added modules such
as MathML, and then will release a new version.

Per Jirka's suggestion, the version numbering will move
from alpha to beta numbering because it appears to
be pretty stable.

ACTION: Norm to make a beta release of 5.0.

8.  Proposal for more comprehensive numbering.
    (continued from last meeting).

Three separate numbering issues were identified:

a.  Orderedlist starting number.

Approved for 5.0.

b.  Procedure starting number.

Several members said the semantics of a procedure element
is of a self-contained unit, and so it always starts with
number 1.  Branching of procedures is handled with
stepalternatives,if necessary.  There was no concensus, so
this item was not approved.

c.  Step increment for line numbering in verbatim text.

No member advocated for this item, as most felt it was
too presentational for a semantic markup languages.
There is, however, an active email discussion going on,
so the committee decided to wait until next meeting to decide.

ACTION: Bob to add step increment to next agenda.

9.  Profiling attribute for audience.
    (continued from last meeting).
To be used for selecting content for different clients
or customers, for example.  Most felt it was
orthogonal to userlevel, that is, a given client
could need doc in several userlevels.  The committee
worried that there were too many profiling attributes
already, but that this was one of the more useful ones.
Approved for 5.0.

ACTION: Norm to add audience as a common profiling attribute.

10.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


      1478012  Add linumsep and linenumstep to programlisting and screen  
      1503012  New PRINTINFO for INFO  
      1512505  profiling attribute for customer  
      1520074  Chunk db.effectivity.attributes definition  

There were all covered above.
Meeting adjourned at 5:45 EDT.

- ---

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200606/msg00012.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]