Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Digital Rights info in DocBook?

/ Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com> was heard to say:
| I've been dealing with a number of clients that are considering DocBook
| implementations. One of the key requirements is consistently in the area of
| Digital Rights.

"Information wants to be free."

| Do you think it appropriate to include some digital rights elements into the
| info element, perhaps even from another vocabulary, such as ODRL (http://
| odrl.net/)?
|
| I'm talking about more than just the legalnotice. I think we need more
| specifics around permissions, constraints, requirements, and conditions.
|
| Thoughts?

DRM is evil.[1]

That said, I think it would be best to bring a concrete proposal to
the table. I took a quick look at the ODRL 1.1 "specification", which
is really just a W3C note.

I couldn't immediately grok the vocabulary there described, but
assuming that there is something that we could point to, a proposal of
the form "let's allow elements from the XXX namespace in info
elements" seems like it might be the easiest answer.

[1] http://norman.walsh.name/2005/07/08/drm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | I'm not tense, I'm just terribly,
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | terribly alert.