Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] task as sibling to section [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 18 October 2006]

also agree that task is a logical sibling.

For task modelling of applications the CCT Notation is an excellent reference and tree like. There is an XML description of the CTT Notation at  http://giove.isti.cnr.it/teresa/teresa_xml.html. I imagine that users will want to document information from the task models generated from tools like Teresa and that the demand for this will increase with a lot of recent innovations in tools used for task modelling and developing systems.

Kind Regards,

Gary

From: Nancy P Harrison [mailto:nancyph@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 17 October 2006 16:46
To: Grosso, Paul
Cc: DocBook Technical Committee

I'm with Paul on this one.

I don't think of <task> as something that is a logical sibling of <section> or <sect?>.  If we add this, do we also add <concept> as another sibling?  DocBook is a very effective implamentation of a particular model; it can be customized for other things, but despite the currently somewhat overwhelming number of elements, it generally models generic block elements, together with both generic and tech-specific inline elements.  The <refentry> and <reference> elements came out of a long-standing technical model also, and don't really correspond to the DITA 'reference' element.  (At least, I and others have had trouble adapting DITA 'reference' elements to the needs of standard refentry-type elements.)

DITA takes topics, and specializations of topics, as the basic interoperable items.  For DocBook, our users have typically used recursive <section> elements as the basic interoperable unit of informatin, when they needed to create extremely modular documentation.  I don't want to confuse the issue by adding another element that breaks the standard DocBook model for dealing with a need for modular content.

just my $.02

Nancy