Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Re: db5: info in HTML Tables?

Hi Paul,
OK, the table cell argument is not a good one.  I guess I'm looking at
DocBook's CALS table markup, and wonder how compatible that is to the CALS
standard?  The current CALS table element in DocBook 5 contains info, alt,
textobject, tgroup (or mediaobject), and caption.  Is the CALS table
standard flexible enough to permit the addition of extra elements like
this?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
To: "DocBook Technical Committee" <docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 4:24 PM

I certainly do not object to adding this to the agenda.

However, I would point out that having non-HTML markup
*within cells* is very different from having non-html
markup elsewhere.  Every table model (and every table
editor UI) always allows "foreign" markup (from the
incorporating DTD) within the table cell, but not
necessarily elsewhere within the table model.

So the fact that other markup is allowed within the
table cell confers absolutely no strength to the argument
that non-HTML markup should be allowed elsewhere throughout
the table model markup.

I don't find the namespace argument particularly convincing
either.  If your basis for allowing other markup within
DocBook's HTML tables is that the elements are DocBook
elements--and therefore have no need to stick to the HTML
table model--then there is no point in saying they are HTML
tables at all.  Invent any markup you want.  But don't
call them HTML tables, and don't expect tools optimized
to work with HTML tables to work with them.

My understanding of the point of allowing HTML tables, as
well as CALS tables, in DocBook documents was three-fold:
(1) existing tables (many of which use such markup) could
more easily be incorporated into DocBook documents,
(2) existing tools/UIs that facilitate working with such
tables could be used to work with such tables in DocBook
documents, and (3) we would be leverage existing knowledge
of such common table models to simplify creation of
DocBook tables.

Changing the (non-table cell content) model of the HTML
table model does not help support either point 1 or 3
and potentially destroys point 2.

paul