OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 November 2006

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 November 2006

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 15 November 2006 at
05:00p EST (02:00p PST, 22:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 07:00JST+,
03:30a India+) for 90 minutes.

1. Roll call

Present: Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, 
Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh

Regrets: Paul Grosso

Absent: Steve Cogorno, Gary Cornelius

On leave: Dick Hamilton

2. Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: not 20 December 2006

The Committee will take December off and
next meet on 17 January 2007.

4. Review of the agenda.

Added item 10a.

5. Review of open action items

    a. Norm to write task/topic email to initiate discussion
       on the docbook list.

    b.  Scott to write email to initiate discussion
        of other namespace elements in info on the docbook list.

6.  XML 2006 conference.

Several members will be attending, but not enough
for quorum.  An informal dinner gathering Wed night for
those that can attend.  Contact Norm if interested.

7.  OASIS IP policy.

The Committee voted unanimously to adopt the IPR
policy of RF on Limited Terms.

ACTION: Norm to follow up with Mary at OASIS.

8.  info in html tables (Scott)

Scott proposed adding info element to DocBook tables that
use HTML markup in order to associate metadata with the
tables.  In RelaxNG, this would be the non-title version
of info.

The CALS table markup allows info, but that table model is
interpreted as allowing extra elements outside of tgroup.
HTML tables don't use tgroup.

Two concerns emerged: 

  - editing tools that work with HTML tables but 
    not extra elements
  - maintaining compatibility with HTML tables.

Jirka also mentioned an alternative of using
annotations to associate metadata with HTML tables.

No concensus on adding info.  A straw poll had 5 in
favor and 2 abstentions.  Absent member Paul is known to
oppose it.

The Committee decided to postpone a decision and
gather more information about
potential problems if info were added.

ACTION: Scott to ask the mailing list of info as first
child of HTML table creates problems.

9.  Extend charter to include commercial publishing [2]
Scott's suggestion would require modifying the 
Committee charter.
Norm expressed concern about DocBook's already large size,
and not having any grounds for rejecting proposals
for new elements, which risks unlimited growth.
Bob pointed out that commercial publishing covers many
different types of documents.

The Committee was favorable to the idea of sanctioning
customizations of DocBook without changing core DocBook.
Not clear what form such sanctioning might take.

Nancy suggested forming offical subcommittees for that
purpose, with one DocBook member, and other members from
other OASIS committees.  Perhaps there could be several
subcommittees for several domains.  Bob said the DocBook TC
should make sure that DocBook supports such customizations.

Other ideas included:

- Perhaps call them "variants" instead?

- Supporting periodicals as regularly published
  technical notes. 

- Perhaps creating a smaller core DocBook with
  technical publishing elements as one extension.

ACTION: Scott to solicit interest on creating
DocBook variants for commercial publishing.

10.  Unfinished business: RFE 1097183: 
Allow Task as a sibling of sections  

Postponed until the next meeting.

10a. Candidate Release for DocBook V5

The Committee approved creating Candidate Release 1 of
DocBook V5. This version  removed the beta designation,
but comes before Committee Specification.  There may
be several CRs.

ACTION: Norm to create DocBook V5 CR1.

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


      1097183  Allow Task as a sibling of sections


      1575537  allow markup from other namespaces in info 

There were only positive comments when Scott asked the list.
The processing expectation is to not render these elements.
The RNG pattern would be any element in a non-DocBook
namespace.  The Committee approved this change for V5 CR1.

      1588693  Allow ackno in book  

In DocBook 4.5, ackno has inline-level content and can
only appear at the end of article. Scott expressed a need
for an acknowlegements element in books, as a sibling to
chapters.  The proposal is to remove the ackno element,
add an acknowlegements element, and give in a content
model like that of dedication.  Also allow the element
in article.

A straw poll showed 6 in favor and 1 opposed 
(Norm thinks it is a bad idea).

Another consideration was a more general element that
could use class="dedication" and class="acknowledgements"
and perhaps others.  Would need a good element name.

ACTION: Scott to post the proposal to the mailing list
for feedback and perhaps element name suggestions.

      1589139  please allow inlineequation in label

The Committee wasn't clear about the request.

ACTION: Larry to ask the submittor to clarify.

Meeting adjourned at 6:30 EST.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200610/msg00025.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200610/msg00031.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]