OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 24 January 2007

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 24 January 2007

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 24 January 2007 at
05:00p EST (02:00p PST, 22:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 07:00JST+,
03:30a India+) for 80 minutes.

1. Roll call

Present: Steve Cogorno, Gary Cornelius, Dick Hamilton,
Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph,
Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh

Regrets: Paul Grosso

Absent: Nancy Harrison,

2. Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous (November) meeting.

3. Next meeting: 21 February 2007


4. Review of the agenda.

No changes.

5. Review of open action items

    a. Scott to ask the mailing list if info as first
       child of HTML table creates problems.

    b. Scott to solicit interest on creating
       DocBook variants for commercial publishing.

    c. Scott to post the ackno-in-book proposal (RFE 1588693)
       to the mailing list for feedback and perhaps element name 

    d. Larry to ask the submittor of RFE 1589139 to clarify.

    e. Norm to release DocBook 5 Candidate Release 1.

7.  OASIS IP policy.

The DocBook TC has successfully transitioned to the IP policy
of RF under limited terms.

8.  Allow info element in html tables (continued from last meeting)

Scott: needed to track digital rights.

Email discussion initiated, but no response.

Cals table model does allow info, because Cals controls
everything inside tgroup, and HTML table has no tgroup.

The HTML DTD does not include an info element.

Bob: DocBook adopted some HTML element names, but made them
into DocBook elements, and the table cell can contain non-HTML elements,
so they are not actually HTML tables.

Scott: info would not be displayed by default.

Norm: concerned that it may break table editing tools, or
production tools after handoff from one group to another.

Bob: avoid using out info if it breaks your tool. Unlikely that
having info in the schema would break the tool.

Decided to postponse the decision.

ACTION: Scott to repost to the list.

9.  Extend charter to include commercial publishing [2]
    (continued from last meeting).

Scott has generated interest in a subcommittee to explore
using DocBook for commercial publishing.  The TC will wait
to hear from the subcommittee before proposing any
charter changes.  The TC will have to approve of any
subcommitee charter. Scott will create a draft charter
during his discussion with potential subcommittee members.

10.  Topics and tasks in DocBook

The TC felt a need to review the existing proposals,minutes, and
email discussions before further action.

ACTION: Bob to schedule this near top of next agenda, and we will
devote most of next meeting to it.

TC members are expected to review the previous discussion
threads before the meeting:

TC Agenda October 2006, and followup messages:

TC Minutes October 2006

Norm's proposal:

Eric Johnson's response to Norm's proposal, which started a new thread:

Bob's alternative proposal:

Eric Johnson's response to Bob's proposal, which started a new thread:

Jirka's alternative proposal:

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


      1097183  Allow Task as a sibling of sections

Next meeting agenda.

      1575537  allow markup from other namespaces in info

Already approved at last meeting.

      1588693  Allow ackno in book

Proposal is for an acknowledgements element as a child
of book. Not sure if need a more generic container.

ACTION: Scott to post query to list again.

      1589139  please allow inlineequation in label

Larry determined that the real need was for a title
on qandaentry.  Title could be used for TOC, xrefs,
and optionally displayed with the question.
Proposal: add title and titleabbrev to qandaentry and
its info element.  Approved.

      1621178  allow titleabbrev in qandaentry info

Satisfied by resolution of RFE 1589139.

      1626321  Add a frame attribute to entrytbl element

Not part of the Cals model, not sure if it would be allowed
under Cals rules.   Bob suggested using entrytbl's tgroupstyle
attribute to indicate frame formatting for an entrytbl.

ACTION: Bob to propose workaround to originator.

      1627845  please allow caption in db.cals.table

There are two kinds of caption in DocBook. In formal elements,
it is used for a longer description of the element. In
HTML tables, caption is used as the table title.
Proposal: add descriptive caption to cals table and informaltable,
in parallel with other formal elements.  Approved.

It was also noticed that the content model of the HTML
table caption element was just text.  It should be
equivalent to title.  Proposal: change HTML table caption
content model to match other titles.  Approved.

      1630203  allow empty glossary

Empty glossary used when glossary built by the stylesheet.
Norm wondered about bibliography too, but that needs
a separate discussion.
Proposal: allow glossary in DB5 to be empty.  Approved.

ACTION: Norm to create a new DB5 candidate release with
caption on cals table and informaltable, title and
titleabbrev in qandaentry, expand HTML table caption
content model to match titles, and allow empty glossary.

Meeting adjourned 6:20pm EST.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200611/msg00033.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200610/msg00031.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]