OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 July 2007

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 July 2007

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 18 July 2007 at
05:00p EDT (02:00p PDT, 21:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 06:00JST+,
02:30a India+) for 30 minutes.


1. Roll call

Present: Steve Cogorno, Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Scott Hudson,
Gershon Joseph, Jirka Kosek, Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh,
Larry Rowland (observer)

Absent: Gary Cornelius, Patricia Gee

2. Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 15 August 2007

No conflicts.

4. Review of the agenda.

Add item 6b regarding DocBook: The Definitive Guide

5. Review of open action items

  a. Bob to write up a description of xlink:role attribute
     for olinks.

  b. Norm to submit Internet Draft RFC for DocBook MIME type.

  c. Norm to add link from main DocBook OASIS page to
     the publishing subcommittee page.

  d. Norm to produce a 5.0CR5 release candidate.

  e. Norm to restore public identifiers text to TDG.

6.  DocBook 5.0 

Norm released DocBook 5.0CR5 on 12 July. [2]
If we get no bug reports, we can move toward
official release.

6b.  Bob raised the issue of element names in DocBook: The
Definitive Guide.  Many are still starting with an uppercase
letter from the SGML days.  This needs to get fixed, and Norm
said he would pursue it.

ACTION: Norm to fix the element names in TDG.

Bob also suggested that now would be a good time for
a complete read through of TDG.  The scope
is to fix content that DTD-specific or SGML-specific,
and make sure the element name cleanup does not introduce
oddities in the text.  Dividing the book up among
the committee members would be a good way to share
the burden.  We will arrange this reading
through email after Norm completes the change
of case.

7.  Subcommittee report.

Scott reported that the subcommittee is soliciting
input from publishers regarding pain points with using
the current DocBook and suggestions for improvements.

Scott wondered about the process of rearranging DocBook 5
modules to better suit customizations.  Norm suggested
that we use the current structure and redefine patterns
as needed.  Doing that with real changes will indicate
how the modules might best be rearranged.

8.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    These RFEs postponed until after 5.0 release
      1097183  Allow Task as a sibling of sections
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  

    RFEs to be considered (as of 17 July):
      1729466  Why not use the include and combine of RELAX NG?  

Norm described how this was considered, but prefers to
distribute the RNG as a single flattened file.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200706/msg00001.html
[2] http://docbook.org/xml/5.0CR5/

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]