OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 July 2008

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 July 2008

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 16 July 2008 at
05:00p EDT (02:00p PDT, 21:00GMT, 22:00BST, 23:00CEST, 06:00JST+,
02:30a India+) for 50 minutes.


1. Roll call

Present: Scott Hudson, Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland,
Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh.

Absent: Gary Cornelius, Jim Earley, Keith Falhgren,
Patricia Gee, Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, John Hanratty,
Gershon Joseph, Dave Pawson, John Pederson

A quorum of voting members is present.

2. Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 20 August 2008

No regrets so far.

4. Review of the agenda.

  10a.  Gershon's email about a DocBook Adoption Committee.
  10b.  New meeting time.

5. Review of open action items

  a. Bob to organize TDG reading after names are fixed.

  b. Norm to review Committee Spec comments so far.

  c. Norm to resond to poster of Ruby request regarding W3C ITS.

  d. Dick to ask mailing list if localinfo is in use for olinks.

  e. Norm to assist in getting the Publishing Subcommittee spec published.

  f. Bob to add to next agenda whether to pursue 5.0 as an
     OASIS standard.

  g. Dick and Jim to investigate using a map for modular DocBook.

  h. Norm to review his understanding of 1912756 Add @scope to index.

  i. Bob to add an agenda item to discuss the policy for
     backwards compatible changes.

6.  DocBook 5.0 standards update

Only one comment was submitted during the review period for
the DocBook 5.0 Committee Specification.  The one comment
was regarding adoption of Ruby and related internationalization
features.  This will be handled as a separate I18N extension
of the DocBook 5.0 schema.

ACTION: Norm to follow up with Mary about finalizing the Committee Spec.

ACTION: Norm to add a set of schemas incorporating the 
W3C ITS standard [2] that includes Ruby.

7.  Policy for backwards compatible changes.

Norm proposed a new policy [3].
We will discuss this on the mailing list and add it to
the next meeting's agenda.  This would be written up
as a policy document and posted on the Committee's
OASIS webpages.

ACTION: Bob to add to next agenda.

ACTION: Norm to write up a policy document.

8.  Submit as OASIS Standard: DocBook 5.0 or 5.1 ?

The Committee debated whether to submit 5.0 as an OASIS Standard,
or make some pending small changes and submit 5.1. If we do 5.1,
we would have to go through the Committee Spec phase again.
The group concluded that many people and vendors are waiting for
an official version 5 standard, and the changes in 5.1 are

Norm moved we submit 5.0 as an OASIS Standard.  Seconded, and
approved unanimously.

ACTION: Norm to work with Mary to facilitate 5.0 as
an OASIS Standard.  

9.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Still working to get the spec published.  Norm will help.

10.  Olink localinfo attribute (Dick Hamilton)

Dick's query to the mailing list about usage of the localinfo
attribute on olinks got no response.  Bob suggested that
it could be useful, and leaving it does no harm.
The group decided to not take any action to remove it.

10a.  Gershon suggested that perhaps we consider a
DocBook Adoption Committee to promote the usage of

ACTION: Bob to add to next agenda.

10b.  Changing the meeting time.
Since we no longer have a Japanese participant, and the
current time is inconvenient for European participants,
Norm proposed changing the time from 5pm EDT to 1pm EDT.

ACTION: Norm to query committee members by email about
the suggested time change.

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    These RFEs postponed until after 5.0 release
      1097183  Allow Task as a sibling of sections
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      1722935  DocBook 5: Adding proofreader in @class for othercredit? 
      1770787  Rename firstname and surname  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

This would be a backwards incompatible change and discussion has
been postponed.

      1912756  Add @scope to index  

Norm withdrew this request after reviewing setindex.

      1998852  Provide a mechanism to group parameters 

The committee recognized the need for such grouping, and
suggested using the group element with different content
models in RelaxNG.  

ACTION: Norm to write content models for consideration.

      2017771  New common attribute: DB

The committee felt that the condition attribute could handle
this, as it is a general purpose effectivity attribute.
The committee is reluctant to add more specialized 
effectivity attributes.  Rejected.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200806/msg00003.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/its/
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200807/msg00029.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]