OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 August 2008`

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 August 2008

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 20 August 2008 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+) for 30 minutes.


1. Roll call

Present: Jim Earley, Paul Grosso, Scott Hudson, Dick Hamilton, Gershon 
Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norman Walsh.

Absent: Gary Cornelius, Keith Falhgren,
Patricia Gee, John Hanratty,
Jirka Kosek, Dave Pawson, John Pederson

2. Accepted the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 17 September 2008

No regrets yet.

4. Review of the agenda.

No new agenda items.

5. Review of open action items

  a. Bob to organize TDG reading after names are fixed.

  b. Dick and Jim to investigate using a map for modular DocBook.

  c. Norm to follow up with Mary about finalizing the Committee Spec.

  d. Norm to add a set of schemas incorporating the
     W3C ITS standard that includes Ruby.

  e. Bob to add backwards compatibility policy to next agenda.

  f. Norm to write up a backwards compatibility policy document.

  g. Norm to work with Mary to facilitate 5.0 as
     an OASIS Standard.

  h. Bob to add DocBook adoption committee to next agenda.

  j. Norm to query committee members by email about
     the suggested time change.

  k. Norm to write content models of group element for consideration.

6.  DocBook 5.0 standards update

For the OASIS Committee Specification, Norm has submitted
the documents.  Not yet added to OASIS webpage.

For the OASIS Standard, we still need a third OASIS member
to indicate they are using DocBook5.  If we don't get one soon,
Norm will solicit again.

7.  Policy for backwards compatible changes.
    Please review Norm's proposal [2]

Members agreed to Norm's proposal for a backwards compatibility
process.  Dick suggested that we add a comment period for
any backwards incompatible changes.

ACTION: Norm to write up a backwards compatibility policy
document to post on OASIS.

8.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

A draft spec has been posted.  Did not meet this month.

9. DocBook Adoption Committee proposal.

Gershon has noticed an attitude among managers that they
prefer DITA to DocBook, even when it might not be the
most appropriate choice for their needs.  It is partly that
DITA is seen as new and DocBook as old, and partly that
DITA is getting a lot of attention.  He was asking if there
was interest in forming some sort of DocBook Adoption Committee
to promote DocBook.  It could provide white papers, user
experiences, and other resources, as well as provide a
presence at conferences.

ACTION: Gershon to communicate with Diane Hackos.

10.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    These RFEs postponed until after 5.0 release
      1097183  Allow Task as a sibling of sections
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation
      1722935  DocBook 5: Adding proofreader in @class for othercredit?
      1770787  Rename firstname and surname
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad

    RFEs to be considered

      1998852  Provide a mechanism to group parameters

Norm posted content models to the list, and got a little
feedback.  His proposal was ACCEPTED for inclusion
in 5.1.

ACTION: Norm to incorporate this change into the schema.

      2021383  Is 'rep' on methodparam a mistake?

ACTION: Norm to ask on the mailing list.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200807/msg00005.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200807/msg00029.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]