OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 May 2009

"Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 20 May 2009
> =============================================================
> The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 20 May 2009 at
> 01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
> 022:30p India+) for 90 minutes.
> Agenda
> 1. Roll call

Present: Norm, Larry, Gershon, Scott, Jirka, Dick, Chris, Richard, Nancy, Paul

Regrets: Bob

> 2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.


> 3. Next meeting: 17 June 2009

No regrets given.

> 4. Review of the agenda.


> 5. Review of open action items
>  a. Bob to organize TDG reading after names are fixed.


>  b. Norm to update spec to include public and system identifiers
>     for the 5.0 DTD version.


>  c. Jirka to add schema comparison table to DocBook 5.0 Transition Guide.


>  d. Norm to work with Mary to make Publishing Subcommittee
>     schema a Committee Working Draft.


>  e. Norm to work with Keith and Scott to update the OASIS committee
>     site to make the Publishing Subcommittee Working Draft
>     publicly available.


>  f. Larry to work up an complete assembly example
>     with basic relationships.


>  g. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the spec.


>  h. Norm to put the new backwards compatibility policy in the
>     reference documentation.


>  i. Norm will update 5.1 with changes to initializer
>     content model.

Continued (Norm thinks he did it, should check.)

> 6.  DocBook 5.0 standards update.

Mary pushed back, I think I've fixed it. Pushing forward again.

> 7.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Norm has an HTML version of the spec for Mary, will try to push
forward with that while working on the PDF version.

Scott posted something to Mary but never heard back.

Publishers SC has decided to place further meetings on hold until we
get public review comments.

> 8. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Larry posted something just a couple of hours ago.

Larry: Biggest concern is that I couldn't actually use the <toc>
element to do the structure of a help system.

Norm: What would need to be change?

Larry: I need nested <tocentry> elements. This is to describe the
structure of a help system which has a hierarchy but no real table of

... The idea of a hierarchy in document assembly is quite common, but
it doesn't always map to a table of contents. Perhaps it would be
appropriate to introduce a generic hierarchy mechanism in the assembly

... This would allow references to be nested more freely than in a
<toc>. I'm also abusing @rendras.

Norm: I think inventing a new element is fine. I'm not sure about

Larry: I think it does make sense to allow <toc> in the assembly

Nancy: We created <toc> with a book in mind, so it's not surprising
that it doesn't have the exactly correct semantics.

Scott: Would we need to extend <tocentry> for other things.

Larry: I wasn't able to figure out how to point to content with a tocdiv.

Norm: Let's try to push this forward in email if we can, otherwise
revisit next month.

Gershon: I got comments at CMS/DITA saying this would be really
valuable. I was asked if we could use the same names as DITA maps.

Nancy: That's difficult because the DITA names are all referential to
the DITA topic element. My guess is that people who are using DocBook
are using section or some such instead. So, we would be better off
basing it on section. OTOH, there's nothing to keep us thinking about

Scott: We're trying to extend beyond DITA maps.

Gershon: Many people said they're investigating DITA for maps.

Norm: I think we should figure out how to do maps for DocBook content.
After we've worked out the semantics, we should consider if there are
names that would make sense to keep the same.

> 9.  Review of Requests for Enhancement
>    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
>      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;;
>      group_id=21935&atid=384107&aid=XXXX
>    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
>      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  
>    RFEs to be considered
>      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation
>      2770858  Add limited emphasis to ubiquitous inlines

Larry: Replaceable is a specific type of "emphasis". I think it's
probably reasonable to allow emphasis in lots of places.

>      2791288  add quote to corpauthor and gui elements 

Norm: I think the next RFE about quote is also related.

Norm: Maybe we should take a closer look at the inlines and see if
there's a small selection we'd like to add to the ubiqitous ones.

ACTION: Norm to take a look at the inlines and make a proposal.

> Any other business

Gershon: I've been asked to write an article for the DITA adoption TC.
The idea is a white paper that objectively presents the pros and cons
of using a proprietary DTD vs DITA vs DocBook. I'm going to ask each
TC to review whatever I write.


                                        Be seeing you,

> [1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200904/msg00009.html

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The only thing that makes life
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | possible is permanent, intolerable
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | uncertainty; not knowing what
                                   | comes next.--Ursula K. LeGuin

PGP signature

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]