Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] request for conref

Personally I'd vote against conrefs and instead wait for XInclude and
XPointer to mature. The W3C removed conrefs from XML because processing
them was deemed complex. IBM already had conref processing in their SGML
tools and therefore brought conref back in when they invented DITA.
Conrefs have limitations, which leads to almost as much headache in
terms of maintenance as file entities generate. So now DITA 1.2 will be
introducing key referencing and content key referencing. This latter
approach offers amazing flexibility for reuse and is very lean on
maintenance overhead. I'd be willing to discuss this during the meeting
today if the TC is interested.

Gershon

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:34 AM
To: DocBook Technical Committee
Subject: [docbook-tc] request for conref

We had a late addition to the DocBook RFEs yesterday, and it is related
to the modular doc discussion we will be having on Wednesday, so I
thought I would call your attention to it.  The request is for a conref
mechanism in DocBook.  See the RFE at:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2820947&group_id=21935&a
tid=384107

Bob Stayton