Subject: RE: questions on creating an assembly

1. We agreed to outputformat being optional, and I have modified the schema to reflect that, I just haven't finished the other modifications.

2. I did not, but I came into this part way into the process and that decision had already been made.  Not sure whether Scott and the others did.  The indirection is valuable in some cases, but I don't have any feel for whether it should be required.  The only hesitation in removing it is the "well this is just a simple book" decision turning into "now its part of a massive set of books and help systems and we are moving to a source control system" and having to recode the book to make up for the change, with all the chances for errors that come up in that type of recoding.  The number of times I've ended up doing that is, of course, not the issue, but it does make me cautious about such decisions now (we all, of course, are perfect in our foresight and planning).  I guess the real question is: why go to modular DocBook for a simple book, why not just use a simple book.  If you are planning for reuse, it is probably better to bite the bullet and set up the resources so you have the indirection when you need it.

LRR

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 4:06 PM
To: Rowland, Larry
Cc: DocBook Technical Committee
Subject: questions on creating an assembly

Hi Larry,
While creating the modular doc toolkit I just posted, a couple of questions came up about the assembly elements.

1.  An output element cannot just have a renderas attribute, it must also have an outputformat.  If one wants the same renderas for all outputs, then outputformat must be set to "ALL".  I'm wondering of outputformat could be optional, with the meaning that if it is not present on an output element, then the output element applies to all outputs.

2.  I'm wondering if the indirection provided by a module element pointing to a resource element which then points to a fileref is always necessary.
It seems the module element could accept fileref insted of resourceref for those who don't want to separate their resources into a <resources> element.
For a simple book, requiring that extra level of indirection seems intrusive. Did you consider that possibility?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net